Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have a pretty nifty idea for a new prop...

Ok, you know those "In case of fire break glass" boxes that have fire hoses and/or a fire extinguisher in them? I'm thinking of making something similar but with a creepy twist. I'd like to build an oak box with a plexiglass front that reads "In case of Vampires Break Glass".

I'm thinking I can put a hammer, some oak stakes, a cross, some holy water and some garlic in it. Maybe I'll try to do this over the weekend. :voorhees:

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Feel free. I'm all about sharing. :)

Welcome to the forums, by the way. Feel free to post lots and lots and make yourself at home. :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I haven't started on this yet. I do have some faux garlic (donated by fellow Hall-l member Vlad) coming in soon and I'm about to order the Holy Water bottle and cross.

Beyond that, I still have to make the stakes and buy a hammer for them. I was going to buy some real Oak to have turned down to a stake on the lathe at work, but the cost of a piece of oak for such a thing is just too much money. So, I'm going to buy a tomato stake and cut it into four or five pieces and cut a point into the end of them for the "oak stakes".

Once I have all the items and have an idea how large the box needs to be, I'll get started on this sucker. Should be a nice prop in the end. I'll also have to make an LED spotlight for this puppy.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have started to gather up the items I'm going to be putting into this sucker.

There is some fake garlic strands I have coming in from fellow Hall-L listmember Vlad that he got at a dollar store local to his area. I tell you, you'll find the weirdest stuff at a dollar store. See attachment for pic of the garlic.

I also just placed an order with St. Patrick's Guild to get three holy water bottles and a cross. I'm sure if they knew what I was doing with this stuff, they'd probably not sell to me.

Holy Water Bottle

Cross

Then, I just have to go to the hardware store, buy a wooden handled, metal-headed mallet and a garden stake (to make the oak stakes out of) and I have all the contents.

When I have everything in my possession, I'll lay them out in the manner they will rest in the box and figure out how large the box needs to be.

When I know that, I'll head over to Lowes, and buy some nice Red Oak boards and a sheet of plexiglass to make the box from. I may also go to Jo Ann Fabric and get some red velvet to line the box with, but I'm not sure yet.

Hopefully, I can get started on this next weekend. :D

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I was damn glad to get that stuff out of the house, let me tell you. Felt woozy the whole time it was here, lol.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You kooky vampire, you. :D

Ok, well I got the garlic strands, the cross, and the holy water bottles today, so as soon as my back is feeling better, I'll get to work on making the box.

Here's a pic I took of all the contents. See attachment.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Stop encouraging him to make this thing people!!!!!
Hmmmmmmmmm, Zombie ever thought of making something really usefull, like a "bug" zapper!

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Too bad for you, I'm nearly done. I just have to assemble the door for the front, paint the sign onto the plexiglass and lay out the red velvet to cover my "mistakes."

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Argh.

So I started to work on the front of this thing today... the wood and plexi glass door. I cut the wood with my mitre saw... I guess it's 45 degree cuts aren't quite 45 degrees because the pieces didn't fit together quite right. No big deal though because it was close enough that if I used angle brackets on the inside, it would be fine.

Then, I routed out the area the glass would mount to. Had a few oopsies here and there, but being it faces inward and nobody will see it, that's ok too.

Then, I went to screw the plexi glass on. The first screw's head broke off in the wood and the glass. I couldn't get it out and in the process the glass broke! Great. So now I gotta try and make the door and glass again, which I'm considering putting off till next year because the glass was $13 and the wood for the door was about another $10.

I wish my woodworking skills were better. Of course, I probably shouldn't have been trying to use BRASS screws. I guess I'm not that bright. :(

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I'm saddened and relieved at the same time. Just how big a piece of plexiglass are we talking about here?

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
16" x 20". I need to get a new piece and the stuff ain't cheap. Neither is the piece of wood I need to replace. I may just finish it this year though because I'm soooo close to being done with it.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to the awesome help of Blackwidow's husband, I got a nice, new front door for the prop in the mail today! I worked on finishing it off tonight, and now all that I need to do to call it done is to put the lettering on the glass and add a picture wire to the back to hang it with. Have some piccies:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.