Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought the DVD and I have to say I was impressed. I had a lot more fun watching this one than I did with the original. But I'm wondering how the inevitable sequel will play out, now that Leatherface is missing an entire ARM. And R. Lee Ermey was a genius, as usual.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
There was stuff in it that I liked, and I think I was initially being too hard on it concerning just how bad I thought it was, but as a whole I was genuinely pretty bored in the theater when I saw it. I did keep checking my watch. Then again, I did go see it alone, so maybe that had an impact on my experience. I'd probably give it 2 out of 5 stars if I had to use some kind of arbitrary system to rate it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I liked the fact that Jessica Biel was in the movie. :D The original was better IMO, but it still was an alright flick. Did you see the deleted scene, where leatherface cuts that boy hanging with chainsaw right between his legs. OUCH!
I also liked the documentary about Ed Gein that was with the movie too. Since, Leatherface was based on him. I thought the girl who killed herself in the car to be disturbing.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I had a friend of mine who swore up and down, I would love this movie. If not for Jessica Biel in those tight-ass jeans, and snug top, this would have been a complete waste. Stupidity reigned supreme in this movie on many fronts. I guess it stands to reason, most of the folks in this tawdry tale were inbred and thus were somewhat entitled to be as dumb as fence posts.

Z, is kinder than I am to it. One out of a possible five. It only gets one because of Jess.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dude, this one gets 3 stars just for R. Lee Ermey. That guy is a goddamn nut job!

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
You got a point there. Ermey is priceless in anything he's in, but he's an extra special kind of crazy in this one. Plus, you gotta love his eyebroWs. Capital "W" on purpose.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I didn't like this movie. In fact, I hated it. I didn't really understand the plot...that may be because I missed about 15 minutes of it, I don't know...but, I didn't like it one bit.

·
Registered
140 Posts
In some ways (cue the 'gasp' sound effect) I liked this film better than the original. It held together better, it was even more 'realistic', and much more tense. I certainly tip my hat to Marcus Nispel for doing justice to a project which was practically doomed from the get go, as far as audience response is concerned.

I don't know... personally, what the film lacked in that grainy documentary film effect, it made up in solid hardcore filmmaking. It was ruthless, sadistic, and didn't let up until the very end. In my opinion, the original Texas Chainsaw, although a great horror film, just doesn't compare in terms of tension -- and again, that's just my opinion. I love the original... it's just I was more 'affected' by the remake. It carried a bigger impact for me.

Anyway, just my two cents. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I rented this and watched it again last night, and I still just don't get what everyone likes about this. It just seems so much more like a cookie cutter horror movie than the original.

I do like the camera work in this movie, and the hitcher at the beginning blowing her head off was pretty intense too. Other than those two items, I found the movie totally boring.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't know, Z-F... the characters just had a certain depth to them that they seemed to lack in the original. I'm not saying I liked the remake better... just some aspects of it. Overall, I'd still probably choose the original, though the remake is a pretty much equal in my books.

The film had a certain amount of psychological tension that the original lacked as well. Personally, I'd rather watch the chase scene through the slaughterhouse in the remake then all the screaming in pitch darkness in the original.

Cookiecutter? Well, maybe -- but TCM '03 is certainly a notch about the standard Hollywood horror flick. Most remakes are done without taste, and are just horrid films overall, which I don't think was the case here.

Either way, to each his own. :D

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I wouldn't say the new version has more psychological tension in the chase scene, I just think it played out better because you could actually see what was going on.

I only call it cookie cutter because I felt like I knew exactly what was going to happen next and was bored because of that.

I'll also add the chase from the basement to the slaughter house to the things I liked.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Sure it's a remake, but aside from the murderer sharing the same name in the two movies, the incidents that unfold in said movies are completely different. Meh, I'll just stick to the original. To each his own, or so the saying goes. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I actulally liked it better than the original myself. I would give it 4 out of 5 stars

Aaron

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Sadly, I liked neither version, and I went into both with an open mind. The first was too dark and grainy in places, and it was hard to keep up with the goings on that were being projected on the screen. The constant screaming really got on my nerves after ten minutes, by which time, I wanted everyone in the movie to buy it.
The people in the second were just plain stupid. The kids could've gotten the best of the situation by attacking the sheriff en masse. It was quite clear that he wasn't who he was pretending to be when he started his shenanigans in the van.No one would've faulted them. Even if there was a chance they did go to jail, better to be behind bars alive, than eventually being ****ted out of some Hillbilly's bowels down into the septic tank. :eek:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Sinister said:
Sadly, I liked neither version, and I went into both with an open mind. The first was too dark and grainy in places, and it was hard to keep up with the goings on that were being projected on the screen. The constant screaming really got on my nerves after ten minutes, by which time, I wanted everyone in the movie to buy it.
The people in the second were just plain stupid. The kids could've gotten the best of the situation by attacking the sheriff en masse. It was quite clear that he wasn't who he was pretending to be when he started his shenanigans in the van.No one would've faulted them. Even if there was a chance they did go to jail, better to be behind bars alive, than eventually being ****ted out of some Hillbilly's bowels down into the septic tank. :eek:

Hehe .. I have only been posting here a day, and I love reading your posts .. you definitly got a way with words ;) I wasnt to thrilled with either but .. I did love the scene when the chick lost it in the van and killed herself. Loved how they showed that scene from the back of her and you saw it happen. That totally rocked!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Danke! The compliment is much appreciated. Hopefully, I can continue to entertain you and others with my meanderings for sometime to come. :D

·
Banned
376 Posts
This is honestly a far worse remake than the 1994 Matthew M-Renee Z one. Also titled Return or The Next Generation or Part 4. The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a groundbreaking film and raised real terror in the audience. This 2003 remake was a joke. It's plagued with stereotypes of new millenium movies: ATTEMPTED added depth to characters, teens making out (total ripoff of Swimfan - :D), added characters, and the ever annoying JUMP/stinger scenes. There wasn't the slightest bit of innovation present and this serves as a rape of the original film. This is just another notch in the modern horror movie slump. Or slum, whichever you prefer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts