Haunt Forum banner
241 - 259 of 259 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
NJ/PA March M&T photos

Hi ALL, instead of trying to post 6 photos from yesterday on here, I'm uploading one and the rest are in my album. Hopefully, you can see the other 5 there. Again, thanks to everyone for all their help. I think I just may just remember all the screen name/face connections...I'm sure Vald will test me next time! No problem, just DON'T kick my chair again (it may kick back!)
I DO HAVE ONE QUESTION THOUGH (hope I can ask in this post), I'm scoring a computer power pack from my neighbor to use for my LED spots. He has a couple of 12V ones but needs to confirm that it's DC and how many amps I need. Any other computer pack spec would be helpful so I'm sure I get the correct one for this application. MANY THANKS!

·
Banned
2,377 Posts
What a great day yesterday. We survived 4 brief power outages, 60mph winds, 6" of rain, Horrific rides on the pkwy, and those delectable jello shots. Nobody burned themselves and everyone seemed to really do well with every aspect of the build. Another resounding success!!! As usual, thanks to Patty and Ken for allowing us in thier home. We all appreciated the great food and the efforts you go to to make us all feel welcomed. THANK YOU.

On a different note, I did finish the prototype of my "Different" set up of my lights. They function better than I could have predicted. I wasn't sure if I should post them in here since it wasn't the intended build, so I started a new thread to show my modifications. Assuming that the wood is free (Scraps), the total additional cost per light was about 10 cents over the original build.

http://www.hauntforum.com/showthread.php?t=20809

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Yes 12 volts DC and the more amps the better. No worry about amps each spot uses about 20 milliamps. In other words 1 amp = 1000 milliamps and most computer supplies can supply a least 10 amps on the 12 volt line. So do the math you can run a few hundred spots off a computer power supply without any trouble. If you can get a few of them by all means the group can always use them. Someone will be needing one. One other note about a power supply that may confuse you. Just because the power supply can supply 10 amps on the 12 volt line for example does not mean if you are running 10 spot lights that the power supply is giving you all 10 amps. I circuit (the spots) will only take what it needs so if you are running 10 spot lights for example the power supply will be putting out about 200 - 250 milliamps. Each spot light uses about 20ma so 20 x 10 = 200 + some for line loss and slight manufacturing variances in the leds and resistors. I hope I explained that clearly if not just said so and I will try to explain it better.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Hey Folks

Glad to hear everyone got home okay. Ghoulishcop got us home quickly. We started rowing around the last exit. When we got to my town the main road was closed due to a live power line arcing. We passed a leaning uprooted tree. Got home around 8:00pm by 8:30 we were out of power. The kids and I had fun with the webcam and a candle. The wife had to work overtime with all the problems due to the weather. The power did not turn on until noon on Sunday. Water pressure was super low too.As of now I still have no phone, TV or internet. I am posting from my work computer.

Other than that I had an amazing birthday!! Thanks everyone! Was not able to hook up the new spots. I might try tonight. Thank you Vlad ,Digger, Niblque and Hpropman for helping with these LEDs. I learned so much. Thanks Trishaanne for keeping us dry. Amazing Food!! LOVE THE CAKE!!

Was there any big winners on the Scratch offs?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Was there any big winners on the Scratch offs?
Does $1 count as a "big winner?" And I'm still without power. According to the news this morning, it might not be before Wednesday or Thursday before power's restored. Will have to wait till then to test my spots.

Fortunately, that amounts to little more than an inconvenience. Plenty of people suffered from uprooted trees, damaged houses and property, and two people were killed by a falling tree in town...so I can't complain too much about no lights or Internet access (though I probably will anyway).

Rich

·
Super Moderator
64,485 Posts
Although I'm not part of this group, I enjoy reading these threads and hearing about the adventures of the NJ/PA Make 'N' Take group:)

I also enjoyed the pictures Madmomma posted. It's so nice being able to put faces to the names here - and Noah Fentz looks like a movie star.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
You can be part of this group any time you'd like to Roxy. Sleepovers for those that have a ways to drive can always be arranged, breakfast is provided and we'll try to be nice while you're here...lol.

If you just want to meet everyone, apparently we are having another haunters weekend in June (?). Last time there were 17 haunters, most for the weekend, camped out EVERYWHERE, inside and out. Our group has grown to more than that many on a monthly basis, so when the guests start rolling in from out of state, who knows how many we'll have this time. The more the merrier! There's nothing like waking up to a house full of hung over haunters..lol.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
NJ/PA Make snd Take-March

My heart goes out to those who lost power. That stinks! Our power goes out quite a bit in storms but usually doesn't last more that a few hours. And you're right, GC, at least we are safe unlike those people who were injured or worse.
Pattie, I'm seriously thinking of placing your name in the running for "Extreme Makeover"! You're like a "haunter magnet"! Let's hope the next meeting can be held outside so we don't completely overtake your home! (p.s...love your puppies!);)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
Mary..that would be AWESOME!!! Let's see. First we'd need to come up with a hardship story. Not enough room for haunters I don't think will cut it. Let's see...the blind step son and the mother in law moving in may help. Requirements would need to be a bigger pool, an outdoor kitchen, a work area that would accomodate 30 haunters AND power tools, enough outlets for all power tools, glue guns, soldering irons, etc., enough guest rooms for the drunken haunters to sleep it off, enough bathrooms so that when those drunken haunters pass out, we still have enough others so that we don't need to run to the corner gas station, a covered outdoor work area so that it gives us a work area for when it's warm but so that we can stay out of the sun, AND TONS of prop storage areas! Oh yeah, one more thing....a PADLOCK on the laundry room! Now, if you can come up with something, have at it. I'll play along with whatever you tell them...:)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
You bet, Trishaanne! I'll put it on my combo "Wish List" and "To-Do" list and see what happens! (are u serious about 2 more people moving in??? Yikes!) :eek:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
First, I want to thank everyone for the help I got making the LED spots. Without it, there's no way I would have figured it all out. Now I'm a freakin' master of soldering! I've been churning out my spots left and right.

So, now that I got all my spots put together using the more sleek, polished spot style, I figured I would use the three spots I put together at the M&T using the bottle cap method. Rats! Now I like this style better and will have to dismantle most of the ones already built.

I opted to go with the 3-mini spot design Greg showed us and I really like the look of them. Aside from looks, though, what I really prefer is that the light beam is broader than in the style I was using. Because mine were set far into the PVC end cap, it's a very focused beam of light; the bottle cap version, because it's shallower, widens the beam. And Greg's version gives me a lot of variability in setting it up.

Here's a picture of my spots. The green dot is colored electrical tape so I know what color the spots are (I wasn't so anal -- er, methodical -- as Greg to use bottle caps the same color as the LEDs).

And another view:

Now I just gotta find Greg's thread on those vampire clips he made!

Once again, thanks for everyone's help. Looking forward to making the FCG next week!

Rich

241 - 259 of 259 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.