Haunt Forum banner

NJ/PA Make and Take-March

21K views 258 replies 24 participants last post by  hpropman 
#1 ·
Well, as we all know, and agreed to, there is only one available weekend in March. So, for anyone that wants to join us, March 13 is the day we'll be getting together.

#2 ·
Pattie - you didn't mention that we will be working on LED spotlights - so I'll mention it. We'll be working on LED spotlights.

As promised - I will be bringing jello shots. At least with jello shots Jay will get some nourishment. ;)

#5 ·
Yes, I will do corned beef and cabbage and potatoes, although it would be nice if we could get someone to make something else, for those that don't like it. We have enough chips left from this meeting, so we don't need any of them. Maybe some dip, but if not, you can eat them plain..lol. Desserts? Let's not have so many this time..lol. It looks like a friggin bakery in my dining room!
I'll make sure I have plenty of bread to absorb the jello shots!

I already sent a message to the zombie walk folks complaining about it, but to tell you the truth, I don't think it will do any good. Oh well, we can still dress up as a group and wander through Walmart or something..:zombie:

I will TRY to make room in the garage so we can all work in there, but it's all going to depend on the weather (so I can empty the garage) and my schedule (how many days I have the kids here). If not, this project, the LED's, will be easier to do in a confined space, and I'm sure I can arrange tables so that we have work spaces for everyone.

#6 ·
What do these spots work on. I left before they were discussed. What parts will I need to pick up for it? Would it be alright if I also bring the wiper motor to work on it more since I had to leave early? I will be leaving early at every meeting until I do not work on Saturdays anymore. At least I am getting 5 hours in of prop time with our group though right.

#11 ·
Hey guys, I'm going to give it another go for March 13th...just put it on my calendar. I'll double check the thread for the LED spots assemblies so I can gather the supplies BlackCat, I'll PM you to inquire about the LEDs. I have some already but they may not be the right ones.
Patti, I can make another pot of chili again (I'll bring a bottle of BEANO) or maybe a chicken dish. Can't wait...2 weeks!

#12 ·
Hey Mary.....chili is fine, or chicken, or anything else you want to make. But remember, you are still new so you get a free pass for bringing food...lol. I'm really hoping that the weather cooperates this time around...we'd love to meet you finally.

Just a suggestion to everyone planning to make it to this meeting. Please think about projects that you may want to make this year. That way, we can discuss it after dinner and decide what we'll be working on next. The more ideas the better, so we can vote on a group project. Just so you know though, we don't do pneumatics as that is too expensive and complicated, and we can't do any welding with this group!!!!!

#16 ·
#18 ·
Madmomma, I'm not sure what size LED's we are going to be using, but yes we will be using 3 LED's per spotlight with 1 resistor in each. Vlad made a convincing argument to use a 12V power supply such as a deep cycle battery or a computer power supply. I was excited about this since one computer power supply can light MANY LED's (Hpropman said 100- 150 or so on one unit). I have at least 3 old computers here and already hacked one of them to power my rocking granny. I can power many other devices with the same power supply. VERY EXCITING! Also, I went to Lowes today and thanks to everyone's suggestions, I matched up that 1" thinwall pvc pipe to a standard twist-off water bottle cap. The problem is I'll have to drink 5 cases of bottled water between now and the 13th to have enough caps to make all the lights I want to make LOL

HPROPMAN- I enjoyed your website (again). I'm really looking foward to your instructional book on the picaxe. I'm an old R/C guy and have MANY servos that are begging for a new purpose in life.

I'm really looking foward to this next meeting.

Greg

#19 ·
The Leds I was showing there are 10MM leds twice the size of a regular 5MM led. We will be using 3 5MM leds plus one resistor in either 3/4 or 1'" PVC thin wall pipe (not the schedule 40 stuff) The 1" will give you more breathing room and as Greg has said the water bottle caps fit them. Walk around the neighborhood on recycle day and take all the caps you want. You can also purchase caps at the depot (Borg) the ones I show in the picture are 3/4 caps inside schedule 40 1/2 pipe and the 1" will fit inside the 3/4 schedule 40 PVC fittings with a little tape wrapped around them. Just another option. The book will be making its first beta appearance very soon. I just need to finish one more appendix, finish the soldering chapter, and fix the table of contents. It has all the basic info in place enough to get you started playing with these things until I can add the rest of the chapters. It is at about 80 pages now it will probably go over 200 by the time I am done. Lots of step by step pictures.

#20 ·
I'm still a little fuzzy on the bottle cap conspiracy....does it really matter which water cap it is? Arent we cutting the sides off to fit them. Is one softer than the other to cut. It seems the more expensive water is the white caps. Shprite has the clear white ones....sorry to be a pain but I dont want to bring a bunch of caps that cant be used.

I might be getting ahead of myself but should we be bringing hot glue guns and spray paint? Is there anything we can do as home work to prepare. Prepaint? Scrounge up wire? Precut caps?

#25 ·
A long drive indeed, it takes about 7/1/2 hours just to cross PA, and that's without any stops. I'd figure 14 hours with kids and frequent BR breaks. Your little one(s) will enjoy the Jersey shore once you get here. I can't speak for the hosts (I'm new) but I can't Imagine that you wouldn't be greeted with WIDE open arms. What a fantastic group of enthusiastic and knowlegable people.

PS, Love your website, I wish I had some money for some of those props. Ohhhh and If you do make the trip you can save us the shipping on the Froggy's fog juice LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.