Haunt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried a search for this and didn't see much, so forgive me if it's been talked about to death (pun intended!) and I missed the topic. Slash me gently if I have stepped out of bounds.

Anyone here visit, or into working "off-season" haunts, or events? I actually think these are a wave of the future. At least adult, interactive, immersive events, with a bit of a tension factor. One well known maybe from Ten-Thirty-One, who Mark Cuban sank money into on Shark Tank had a summer camp out (F13 style). They were sold/folded into the Thirteenth Floor giant.

I lived in New England for a bit, where haunts are big, and know of two places where they have events that aren't Halloween related. The first is Fright Haven, in Stratford, CT. Here's a link (not related to them at all, zero advertising, not plugging, etc. Just like them). If you cycle through their TicketLeap page of past events, you can see how many cool off-season things they have done. Some a bit more on the amusing than scary side. Another is a great haunt called Nightmare Acres that had a Christmas scare event this year. There's a fairly heavy theater influence spreading out from NYC, which also playes into this I think.

I really think post-pandemic people are screaming to get out and do something, be involved in something. And this form of "alternate reality" is far more interesting than looking through a pair of VR glasses at your phone.

Any and all thoughts, shares of other cool places, welcome.

Registered
Your post is very punny! 馃ぃ lol. Just effin with you.

13th Floor of Chicago does some cool stuff throughout the year. I've been to a Friday the 13th event they did many years ago. If memory serves they did a Valentine's Day event one time that was Dracula themed. I know I've been there a few times for Christmas events, but it was more slasher-related than Krampus which they seem to be doing now.

Another one in the Chicago area is the Basement of the Dead. They do the annual Halloween haunts of course, but they're doing a Friday the 13th Slasher even in a couple of weeks, and I think they did a Christmas one in the past too, but not positive about that. I love their November Lights Out event which is basically their last night of Halloween haunting, but it's basically just pitch black and one person in each group gets a glow stick. Very creepy.

I'd love to hear about any others in this area that are throughout the year, but if I'm not mistaken I'm the only one from the Chicago area on these boards these days. I hope you're right about year-round haunts being a wave of the future. That'd be awesome! I'm not sure if Escape Rooms are still a thing, but those didn't really seem to catch on, or at least they seemed to be a fad. The movies were pretty cool though. The movies might've actually killed the market for Escape Rooms. 馃ぃ Both of those statements are complete speculation though.

Btw, ever seen the 2019 movie Haunt? Really good movie! Here's a link to the IMDB... Haunt?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'd visit Chicago just to experience the Basement of the Dead. Of course love everything F13.

I'll check out Haunt.

I think Escape Rooms are still around, but almost always part of something else. They became too saturated, and not creative or detailed enough in many cases, and lacked integrated experiences (other than looking around for things!). It's still a fairly solid concept.

I fear I put everyone else to sleep though. Maybe it's the season (or lack of season!).

Registered
Thanks. I'd visit Chicago just to experience the Basement of the Dead. Of course love everything F13.

I'll check out Haunt.

I think Escape Rooms are still around, but almost always part of something else. They became too saturated, and not creative or detailed enough in many cases, and lacked integrated experiences (other than looking around for things!). It's still a fairly solid concept.

I fear I put everyone else to sleep though. Maybe it's the season (or lack of season!).
It's not you. These boards are pretty slow with 5 or so members somewhat active in the off-season. I'm fairly new (<year), so not sure how bustling it gets in the mid/late summer when folks are starting to prepare, but the diehards here are great.

Btw, Basement of the Dead is a GREAT haunt for Halloween. Chicagoland has a couple/few of really good ones, but I'd have to rank that one tops. It's actually about 40 miles from downtown Chicago, so if you visit from far and stay overnight, don't get a room downtown. If you do make that trip though, definitely research all haunts in the area including near the WI border and Milwaukee because there are a couple of good ones up there too. If I moved out of town, I'd definitely make the trip back in-season to visit the haunts.

Also, if you're making the trip, make sure you also visit Bachelor's Grove Cemetery at night. It's a famous "haunted" cemetery. There's loads of information available with an easy Google search. It's been featured on popular Haunt shows on the History Channel and such. I've never experienced anything there, but it is very creepy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts