Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just spoke to a friend of mine today.She also loves halloween.She told me about getting complaints on her yard haunt.She had put up some cross shaped tombstones.Some of her neighbors complained to her about it being disrespectful.A couple nights before halloween,the tombstones turned up missing.Im just curious if anyone else has had any experiences where they had offended someone.I wanted to use some cross shaped tombstones,but by all means I do not want to offend anyone.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
What's disrespectful and offensive is the downright theft of another persons property. I can see some people pick and choose which religious doctrines they want to follow. Yes, I'm sure there's a commandment in there somewhere about stealing. If I were her, I would make bigger ones with epitaphs that say just that. "Thou shalt NOT steal!"

·
Registered
820 Posts
I agree with moribus. just dont write anything bad on the ones with crosses i suppose. if anyone complains, take the stuff in until halloween

·
Registered
329 Posts
Had a corpsed bucky in my front yard. It was mounted on two treelimbs (cross style)and a sign above it saying the nightmare starts here.
One lady asked me to take it down because it scared her 3 year old when they drove by. Her daughter thought it was my wife.
My wife also heard rumors that people thought it looked to much like a mockery of Christian religion.
People get a life. I was raised Christian and my wife and I both attended and worked at the local church!!
Whatever. Ended up having a party in a friends hayloft so I took it down, but this year I'm having a full cemetary and scary things in m front yard so watch out!!

·
Old Bat
2,823 Posts
I have never had anyone say they were offended, and I have the cross shaped tombstones, too. I guess it depends on what area you live in. I personally do not find them offensive in a Halloween display, but that's just me.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beepem...No...I live on an Air force base.definitely not an amish community.
I think I will continue with my plan and use some cross tombstones.I dont want to offend anyone in my neighborhood,But if I do Oh well.Im not too worried about anyone stealing them.Most people on my block know that hubby is a cop-lol.I will tell my friend also about the "Thou shalt not steal" part.She will get a kick out of that.

·
I'm bringing sexy back
7,769 Posts
It's Halloween. What do they expect. Was does a graveyard have in it - some grave stones made into crosses. If Madonna can get away with reinacting the crucifixion in her tour, how can a graveyard setting around Halloween be offensive.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I've never had any complaints. My next door neighbor did make a laughing comment about how property values would take a dive of I left my display up. I guess he is relieved that it's only for a day.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont think beepem has to worry to much about offending any Amish.They dont believe in the use of computers and other worldly things.I think if they were on this forum,they would be breaking one of theyre own golden rules.

·
A little bit bent...
3,232 Posts
This kind of stuff comes up every year, and last year was the worst I've ever seen it, since Halloween landed on a Sunday. I use cross-shaped wooden grave markers in my cemetery, and I've never had a complaint (yet). I'm with Dr. M, if Halloween offends you then don't celebrate it. But don't rag on me about it, and don't steal my props.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well, I'm a Catholic and we've got a statue of Mary in our front yard. Personally I think she fits in great in our graveyard. We've got crosses too. And we're the only ones in the immediate neighborhood who haul our butts off to Mass every Sunday...I'm sure it confuses the hell out of our neighbors! Those types just take life WAY too seriously. And I agree, a huge cross with Thou Shalt Not Steal would be hilarious...There's nothing offensive about a cross in a graveyard. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
lol morbius you have said the funniest things I have ever heard you say in this thread. Your pretty funny.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I may have the same situation this year. I live in a huge religious town (pretty much michigans bible belt) and some of my tombstones have crosses on them and I am going to make some of the old looking wooden crosses. I personally dont care if people don't like it. What about all the crosses that you see at a real cemetery. There are plenty of them at the cemetery right around the corner from me. If you dont like it then dont look at it, dont watch it, dont read it, etc. I vote every term to maintain my FREEDOM OF SPEECH rights and I intend to display that in my yard.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts