Haunt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Witch-Finder of Lilburn
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my barns has gotten a bit rotted out. I am going to tear it down and rebuild, or at least replace the walls & ceiling (it has a concrete floor). Would you toss out the old boards in the interest of safety or would you consider making a prop or shelf with these authentically weathered/aged boards? Maybe a strictly open, outdoors, no-touch one?

We prefer to recycle or repurpose when possible. Not sure if the landfill will take old plywood anyway.

·
Super Moderator
64,104 Posts
My guess is that old weathered boards have been recycled for generations regardless of rats:)

I've seen a variety of suggestions for cleaning wood cutting boards that might be appropriate if you have concerns, including wiping with full strength white vinegar, spraying with hydrogen peroxide (the 3% you find at the pharmacy), wiping with a 10% bleach solution, or scrubbing with hot soapy water. Wood is porous, so complete disinfection beyond the surface is likely not possible.

In the mold abatement industry, porous surfaces such as wood beams that have to stay in place for structural reasons are cleaned with an appropriate mold-killing solution, dried, and then encapsulated to seal the surface. You might want to try that approach for the boards. Clean them in your preferred manner, then seal them with a clear varnish or polyurethane finish.

·
Witch-Finder of Lilburn
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My guess is that old weathered boards have been recycled for generations regardless of rats:)

Wood is porous, so complete disinfection beyond the surface is likely not possible.
Thanks RoxyBlue!

There is an actual value to the boards depending on the age of this barn.
Really? I don't know but it can't be more than twenty years old. Don't know why it rotted out like that unless they just didn't paint it so well. This is just cheap looking plywood IIRC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts