Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a prop that I'm working on.....it is made from a urethane skull that I cast and modified, and the mache coating is celluclay. I have a long way to go with this guy, but he's just now getting to where I can start to see his vicious character.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi dave,

You can tell the way he's shaping up, it'll really give the kiddies a good scare. Two questions for ya, how well does the mache coating hold up to rain and is it to late to add LED's inside the head to illuminate the eyes? I think an amber color would really set it off.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is my first adventure using Sculpt or Coat to seal up mache. It should do fine from everthing I have been told.
Yes,too late to add lights to the eyes. All his lighting effects will be external....my concept for this guy is extremely creepy...the kids will have good reason to be scared of this one. ( I'm scared of this one....)

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Ewww. He sorta reminds me of one of Lovecraft's townie-priests from The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Nice!

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
We seem to have some real talent to envy on this list regarding sculpting. I'd love to try it, but am more than a little intimidated from what I've seen - even from first timers!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We seem to have some real talent to envy on this list regarding sculpting. I'd love to try it, but am more than a little intimidated from what I've seen - even from first timers!
Don't let that stop you Sickie.....the celluclay is great to work with...much, much easier that normal paper mache. It really makes molding in fine details possible. It is also very reasonably priced, so if you don't like what youv'e made you aren't out much.....get a styrofoam wig head and get those hands dirty.....its alot of fun!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are you planning on doing for the rest of this prop?
this guy has a whole storyline that goes with him....the short version summary is that he lives under the roots of a fallen tree deep in the wet, dirty hole. He lurks in the night, roaming around like a street bum, collecting random pieces of litter to furnish his den. He is most definitely a very cunning hunter, and likes fresh raw meat.....

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Ok Dave ,
yup he looks just as you described but are you gonna build the tree next?
he looks like a cousin to your avatar pic

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
lookin good dave
what's th eplan with the bucket?
He'd be great in a radioactive sewer site.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lookin good dave
what's th eplan with the bucket?
He'd be great in a radioactive sewer site.
The bucket is essential to this character....goes back to when I was a kid there was a bum known as the bucketman....insane dude that roamed around swearing at nothing but his own craziness....carried 2 buckets everywhere. Just a creepy figure from my past that I am using for inspiration. This guy, though, is mean to the core....and will have a different use for his buckets.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
That's awesome!!! I think the best prop's, like your's, is the one's that look very close to real but make people take that 'double take' when they see it. Great Job Dave!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I really like his eyes.
I like the milky cataract quality you've given them.
They also have an ichtyological feel to them that is wonderfully disturbing.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really like his eyes.
I like the milky cataract quality you've given them.
They also have an ichtyological feel to them that is wonderfully disturbing.
why thank you octoberist.....he was partly inspired by a catfish, so your comment makes me feel pretty good.:D
this is a shot of making his neck....a piece of crushed dryer vent tubing covered with drywall reinforcement mesh, then he gets more celluclay to match his head. Second picture shows the full body pose.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts