Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Volat cum ea suas alas.
12,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG- here is Patti's To Die For onion soup recipe. Seriously- it's perfect.

2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 large onions thinly sliced
1 tablespoon flour
3 cans (14 1/2 oz) regular strength beef broth
1 cup water
1/3 dry red wine
salt and pepper
1 cup shredded swiss cheese (I use mozzarella instread)

Heat butter and oil in large pan over medium heat, add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, till soft and caramel colored but not browned, (30-40 minutes) . Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes to brown lightly. Pour in about 1 cup of beef broth, stirring to blend flour and broth. Add remaining broth, water and wine. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add toasted bread to bottom, fill bown, cover with cheese and either broil or microwave till cheese melted EASY PEASY

I cannot believe I have de-evolved into being a woman who posts RECIPES on the internet..omg...

· Super Moderator
68,194 Posts
So I really wanna make this one, but have no idea what is a good dry red wine.... anyone have some suggestions? Something fairly common?
Try Boone's Farm:D:eek:

Okay, just kidding. Go to the wine store and pick up a bottle of chianti. Any name brand will do as long as it's a drinking wine, not one labelled "cooking wine".

· Volat cum ea suas alas.
12,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a "cooking" red wine off the shelves in the grocery store. It is NOT for drinking as it has added salt in it. It was two bucks and change, and means no one will be tempted to drink it. :) It definitely tastes just like regular red wine in the food, which was surprising. Bags of onions and beef broth were on sale this week, so I stocked up!

· Director of Ambiance
1,795 Posts
I just wanted to give a big thanks to Tapatalk so that as Jayson and I were walking through the store tonight, he was able to pull up Haunt Forum on our phones, get the recipe (Thanks to every one involved for the cooking of and posting of this recipe!)

I got a Beringer 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon. Making tomorrow night. Can't wait.

Can we have a shared recipes thread somewhere? I would especially like to have a place for recipes to take to make and takes, parties, pot lucks, etc. (Still trying to decide what to take to the Workshop this weekend, LMAO)

· Registered
3,260 Posts
Dixie, do you need to take a hot or cold dish? I have an AWESOME chicken recipe I can send you. Oh, and as for the onion soup, you can make croutons for it or just use french bread. Personally I don't like the bread in mine but when I make it for hubby, he likes it. Be sure you toast your bread or croutons though.....it absorbs less of the liquid.

· Super Moderator
68,194 Posts
Ladies, feel free to start a "Shared Recipes for Make and Take Groups or Any Other Small Crowd" in this forum. That way the onion soup thread won't get hijacked:)

· Registered
3,260 Posts
Deb, I am SOO glad you posted this on here. Since we are now on extremely limited diets, this is one thing Kenny can have. My recipe has been packed away and put into storage. If this hadn't been on here, I would have had to risk trying a different one that I may or may not have liked. THANK YOU :D now Kenny can have dinner tomorrow or Sunday night!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.