Haunt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aprille and I went up north to Weir's Beach New Hampshire for the weekend, and last night we decided to check out the drive-in that's up there. Our choice was to see "Open Water", the Blair Witch meets Jaws flick. While not an overly exciting movie, it did have a very creepy feel to it. Seriously, how would you feel if you were stranded in the middle of a shark-infested ocean? Not good, and the movie projects that feeling onto the viewer very well with its (sometimes sickening) bobbing up-and-down camera motions.

The film's story is loosely based on the real life story of the disappearances of Tom and Eileen Lonergan off the coast of Australia in 1998. While no evidence has been found to suggest the Lonergans were eaten by sharks, the movie trudges on in that direction as a sort of "what if" scenario showing what is possible if one were to be left stranded in the ocean.

I'd say it's worth seeing at least once. If you didn't care for the jerky cameras and whimpering main characters of The Blair Witch project, this movie may not be for you, but for the rest of you out there, it's at least worth a rental.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I saw it in the theater
it was bleak
It made me numb
I neither liked it or disliked it.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

Never made it to the movies to see this one .. and honestly for me, I am glad I didn't pay the $8.75. For me it was bad enough I paid the $3.50 to rent it. Oddly enough though .. I did enjoy the Blair Witch Project. Might of been how they did it where it really did seem like a documentary. Oh well .. to each there own :D

·
Registered
496 Posts
I thought they were able to capture the concepts best. At first hope "they'll come back for us". Next Calm dont panic (let me tell you how that worked out for them) then nightime shear terror followed closely by acceptance.

Some of it was done well. It's all in your head.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I went to the movies to see this one, and honestly wish I would have never seen it. I expected to see something, a little more entertaining. But, it was an OK movie. I mean it did kind of give you the feel, of oh my God what if I was stranded out in the middle of the ocean? I'de rather be out in the middle of nowhere, at least help would be possible lol. Not that it wouldn't be possible in the ocean, but ya know lol.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
as a diver like FE............it is a little too real for comfort

right after i saw the movie we were going on a dive trip AND it didn't help that i was keeping up w/a similiar scenerio that had happened to a couple of divers around Figi

it does happen more often than folks realize

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah I see what you mean. To me, the movie caught that terrbile phobia of being stranded out somewhere without help. But it caught something even more horrible, being stranded out in the OCEAN with no help. God knows whats out in the middle of the ocean. That was a pretty cool idea to me, i've never seen a movie where they are trapped in the middle of the ocean like that.

·
Banned
49 Posts
I love the movie. I love it because I love water, I love watching people going swimming / diving, I love the peaceful and calming quality to the movie, and I loved the entire look and feel of the movie. It felt very low-key. So I can see how a lot of people found it to be very boring. Just don't go into it expecting to see people getting torn into tiny little pieces by all manners of vicious sea critters. It's more about the people and their terror. Actually, scratch that. It was more about the people and the psychological feeling of unease that turns into hopelessness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.