Haunt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a pic of the PIR/prop timer I'm entering in the challenge. The PIR is hacked to allow two off-interval times, 30 and 60 seconds between triggers. The timer can be set from 2 seconds to 1:30. The total cost is under $18, including the batteries. Here's the parts list:

All Electronics:
Part / part number

Switch - MTS-4
Cost 4/4.00
Qty. needed 2
Ext. cost 2.00

Relay - RLY-645
Cost 1.50
Qty. needed 1
Ext. cost 1.50

Perf board - PC-3
Cost 1.50
Qty. needed 1
Ext. cost 1.50

Transistor-MPSA13
Cost 5/.50
Qty. needed 1
Ext. cost 0.10

Capacitor-100mfd/35V radial
Cost .27
Qty. needed 1
Ext. cost 0.27

Diode - 1N4148
Cost 15/.99
Qty. needed 1
Ext. cost 0.07

Potentiometer - AP-1M
Cost 0.50
Qty. needed 1
Ext. cost 0.50

Resistor - 470K ohm 1/4 watt
Cost 10/.50
Qty. needed 1
Ext. cost 0.05

Resistor - 1K ohm 1/4 watt
Cost 10/.50
Qty. needed 1
Ext. cost 0.05

Project box - TB-3
Cost 2.50
Qty. needed 2.50
Ext. cost 2.50

Term. strip - TS-206
Cost 1.58
Qty. needed 1
Ext. cost 1.58

9 volt battery snap - BST-3
Cost 4/1.00
Qty. needed 2
Ext. cost 0.50

Electronic Goldmine:

PIR sensor unit - G4567
Cost 5.95
Qty. needed 1
Ext. cost 5.95

Misc. stuff - estimated cost:

Solder 0.10

22 gauge wire 0.25

9 volt battery 2/.99 at Big Lots - 2 required

I have a how-to for the hack of the PIR sensor almost ready. It's got a lot of pics and is on a MS Word doc. I'll try to get a PDF made to reduce the file size. I have pics of a completed timer board (the circuit drawing comes with the PIR sensor) for any who are interested. PM me and I can send the pictures. And many thanks to DaveintheGrave for finding the cheap PIRs!

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The off-interval can be set to either 30 secs or 60 secs. This means that the PIR will ignore you until that time period has passed, then it will recognize you as an IR source and trigger the timer. If you stand in front of it for 10 minutes and the off-interval is set for 60 seconds, it will trigger the timer 10 times. One caveat - the timer board has the capability of staying on for longer (~1:30) than the PIR's maximum off-interval. This means that the prop that is operated by the timer could stay on constantly if the timer is set to a longer time than the off-interval. Typically, this won't happen since most scares run for less than 30 seconds. The next off-interval option is at 6 minutes (it's set on a ripple timer IC and can't be made adjustable) and that's too long between triggers for most haunt applications.
Clarification - the timer board has a DPDT relay on it so that two props can be triggered by the same PIR activation. Example: a sound effect (CD player, digital sound board) and LED eyes can be triggered at the same time. The relay will handle a 5 amp load.

·
DeceptiProp
5,322 Posts
It is going to be tuff for the judges to categorize this prop because it is totally different than the others. The others are more aesthetically pleasing, while this prop is more useful. One might pass this prop up just because it doesn’t catch one’s eye. I don’t think that would be fair for this prop, because it isn’t really made to be looked at. How do you judge a prop like this, as compared to a prop that, for example, one that krough made? I am glade I am not a judge.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Yea..I was thinking that myself..Is a PIR timer really a "Prop", or is it a useful tool? Don't get me wrong, I really like the thing too, this is just a catagory question.

Does it work as a stand-alone prop? No, It must have another prop hooked up to it to make it work (noticably). Also, it's called a "prop timer" not a "prop".Hmm.. I am having a tough time with this one too, as don't think it should be discounted based on that criteria. Maybe we should just take it for what it is, and go from there.

·
Ghost Maker
2,962 Posts
I have been thinking about this myself, and I think we should let Otaku hook the PIR timer up to a prop so the effect of the timer can be demonstrated in the same context as the rest of the props. Without adding to the cost.

Or we could follow deathtouch's advice and connect all the props together. If you stand in front of the scary tree stump for 30 seconds, the vacancy light will come on the tree stump will start scratching it's butt until you leave.:D

·
DeceptiProp
5,322 Posts
heresjohnny said:
I have been thinking about this myself, and I think we should let Otaku hook the PIR timer up to a prop so the effect of the timer can be demonstrated in the same context as the rest of the props. Without adding to the cost.

Or we could follow krough's advice and connect all the props together. If you stand in front of the scary tree stump for 30 seconds, the vacancy light will come on the tree stump will start scratching it's butt until you leave.:D
No, that was me who said that. I don't need credit for my props, just my jokes.

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I thought about the proper category for this device when I was posting the parts list. It's definitely not a prop but a controller. Perhaps, as suggested, I could demonstrate it by using it to activate one of my props. Or, also as suggested, a sub-category could be created. I don't want to make the judges' jobs more difficult, though. I'm totally open on this one.

·
DeceptiProp
5,322 Posts
Otaku said:
Yeah, I thought about the proper category for this device when I was posting the parts list. It's definitely not a prop but a controller. Perhaps, as suggested, I could demonstrate it by using it to activate one of my props. Or, also as suggested, a sub-category could be created. I don't want to make the judges' jobs more difficult, though. I'm totally open on this one.
Better yet otaku. I am a test Tech, you could send it to me for a few years and I will send you a complete ananlysis of your controller. Of course, I am planning on using it during those years, but it will get tested. So don't worry about that. LOL.:googly:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.