Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On more than one board I've yapped on and on about the radio play that accompanies our yard haunt. Finally found a way to share it.

Our yard haunt goes up two weeks before Halloween. We broadcast this radio show continuously with an low-power FM transmitter hooked to a simple CD player set on repeat. We have a WRAITHFIN.JPG on Flickr - Photo [email protected]@[email protected]@http://farm1.static.flickr.com/1/[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@d15b2fbb6b that tells people to tune to our chosen frequency. It's fun to watch people pull up each evening, turn on their radios and listen to the show. In the end, each of the props that are described in the play can be seen in the yard. We like to think this makes our haunt more immersive. Last year we met a family who told us they'd been coming by for several years, but that 2005 was the first time their kids could get all the way through the story. A rite of passage. This is incredibly popular with our guests. It's always listed as our number one "prop" on the little polls we do. I'd suggest it for any haunter. Particularly if you have a strong theme. If you have about six minutes to kill, you can listen to it here. Just hit the play symbol underneath the word "subscribe." The talent is me, a friend and my wife (sorry about that part). We did have some professional help with the audio production. However, with all the tech that's available today I think you could pull one off without much trouble. Would love your feedback.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
wow your TS-inspired reaper is sooooooooo nice. That is a very cool idea.

·
DeceptiProp
5,851 Posts
What are you using for a Transmitter? I was using a Rasmey transmitter but it fell fate to my chocolate lab puppy. I now have a Belkin Transmitter. I also had to be pro help for the audio. But I did do the music.

·
DeceptiProp
5,851 Posts
I like the Ramsey better. Of course you don't need the 300 dollar model. They have a 120 dollar one that is just as good. The Belkin you have to mess with the antenna to get the range that you are looking for. But for what I paid for it, I am willing to mess with the antenna. It is givning me what I want for around 35 bucks. Then I just hook it up to the computer with otsturnable(software) and it does the rest. I like how the software fades into the next song like a radio station does.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We use a Ramsey...the low end model you mention. However, with that low-end the range is really limited to about half-way down the block either way. Of course, that's perfect!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
It wouldn't real;ly work here because #1, most of the haunt is in the back yard, behind a fence and can't be seen from the street. All that you can see is the cemetary on one side of the yard and this year the band will be in the small section of the yard..the child friendly area where noone will jump out and scare them. And, #2 reason, I couldn't figure out how to do this if my life depended on it. I'm a bit technically challenged :googly: Ask Vlad, he can testify to that statement. Again, great job.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Gonna try the radio play this year to kind of add to the mood of our yard haunt and magic mirror room. Not as elaborate as the sweeney family though. Gonna use a belkin fm transmitter with a modified antenna. Even recorded the transmission part last night, borrowed the ending from the sweeney family though (thanks). Still a work in progress, my transmitter should be here by friday and we will see how it works. I'm gonna use it as a teaser no real story line. Plan to put out a sign 2/3 weeks prior on what station to tune to. (Now I have to figure out how to design a new sign cheap) .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts