Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered some oversized hands from The Fright Catalog Inc. $42.00 worth of junk....I didn't send back because it would make these $65.00 worth of junk. They were nothing like the photo they show. They were flat in spots, with more latex repair marks than I can count...

OK vented...now...I might use these for my stalkaround next year...I'm so disappointed with them I'll probably just make my own hands and arms.:mad:

Dennis

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep...hopefully I can find some BIG LOTS hands. I have one piar but they're in my MIB. I knew I show have bought 4 pairs when I saw them. You can always use extras.

Oh well, live and learn...I figured big catalog place, nice site, would have good products....

I'll probably put them on ebay and take a loss

Dennis

·
Registered
24 Posts
I made the mistake of only buying two pair of the Big Lots hands this year. When I was buying them I kept telling myself to buy more, but for some unknown reason I convinced myself that I didn't really need anymore than that. I knew I would regret it later.

·
Registered
458 Posts
i think your the only one eric - i also have had poor resilts - things look much more detailed - much better quality in the pics - one time i got this "foam filled" latex pumpkin skull - needless to say when i got it it was a floppy piece of latex with no foam filling - and talk about midge! sheesh - the horribly painted evil grin wouldnt even scare a baby if it was real cause he could just step on it and it would crush - i also got their "mega corpse" mask with chest piece - its ok i guess - but the pic in the book had these awesome brown eyes - and when i got it, just holes - and the painting on that left some to be desired as well - definitely not worth the 100 $ thankfully this was all bought from a gift card i won at a costume contest - too bad it wasn't for a more reputable place - o wel - beggers cant be choosers - im just glad i didn't pay for this stuff! - two thumbs down from me! - :finger: riley

·
Registered
458 Posts
were you expecting pieces of crap that look like they are mass painted by someone with no talent?? haha - jp - riley

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
I also have ordered from "fright" and "cheap creeps", some were good some were bad, and yes some of the stuff seems to be allegedly misrepresented in the pics. But they are not the only ones with better pics than the product actually is.
I am trying to buy things I actually see in person or make it ,... then I can't complain.

·
Registered
506 Posts
apparently no one here understands that commercial props in general... well Suck. Up until last year I've always bought all of my props online until I found skullandbones which inspired me to do my own stuff. Then I found the terrorsyndicate along with 1031fan's haunted house video... which have all been my inspiration for this year. Of course I still buy all of my masks online but when it comes to quality, the best way to get results is to do it yourself.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ditto on Fright Catalog, masks look nothing like they are represented and no customer service when there's an issue.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't mind massed produced...poor paint job...latex holes...but big creases that won't come out and fingers pointing in odd directions, poorly filled... oh well live and learn.

I thought this thread had died...I was just venting....lol

Dennis

·
Registered
664 Posts
Ditto on Fright Catalog, masks look nothing like they are represented and no customer service when there's an issue.
Now I definitely have to disagree. Are you going to the same FrightCatalog I'm going to? I got customer service every time I needed it! They have a live chat customer service and a phone service! Both were great for me! I got all of my questions answered.

The main things I ordered from them were masks / costumes. I guess one of them counts as a costume. It's a wolf mask, with hairy wolf hands and a shirt with a hair wolf chest busting out. I also got a scarecrow mask. I think both look awesome! I still have them! In fact I have a picture from the local press featuring our haunt in it. I'm on the front cover in my wolf stuff.

Here's the picture, see for yourself. :D

(It's from 2005, I don't wear it as my primary costume anymore. Now I wear more simple things for the most part. Usually a mask and some dark clothes, not a whole costume. This year I'm thinking about making some sort of stalk around thing, or maybe just extended arms.)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I've noticed their props are also poorly constructed.
The guy I worked with last year gave me a mummy he got from Fright Catalog.
He paid, I believe, 200 dollars for it and the thing was just made out of styrofoam and wrapped in cheap fabric.
Also, the head had fallen off within a couple years!
It looks nice in the pictures, but you can't really be sure what you're going to get in the mail.
I also bought a hanging clown from Fright Catalog but I was quite happy with it. However, like you had mentioned, the right hand was all bent up and seeing as it's just foam, no wires inside, I'm afriad to bend the fingers back it place. I don't want to have a fingerless clown!
I've noticed that with a lot of haunt industry prop sellers... Scare Factory comes to mind. In the pictures, the stuff looks amazing! But I got a DVD with a catalog from them a while ago and on the DVD it shows the props in action...
Many of them are very poor quality and aren't very realistic looking with the movements....
Anyways, I agree very much with what most of you are saying.
It looks great in the photos, but in person, it's crap!
:).

·
Registered
79 Posts
I ordered a grim rot bust and never recieved it and they wouldn't refund me or even reply to my emails. The other thing I recieved was missing parts, was dammaged, and the box wasn't damaged at all.

Conclusion: Fright Catalog = bad product

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I like FrightCatalog but they are a little exspensive and should stop making them look so great! However the two masks and props I got were pretty good actually.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i was real happy with my grossferatu :)
but my half zombie was real disappointing. he has a cardboard bottom! like i'm gonna have to take him up every night (or if it rains) and he doesn't look very good either (bad paint job) and won't stand up correctly (we'll have to dig him into the graveyard i guess) as he keeps falling flat onto his face. :(

i guess some things are just better than others, no matter where they come from!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts