Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last September my family and I went to a haunted house and I really liked the way they had painted thier walls, yet couldn't really figure out what they did to make it look so cool.
Well I figured that they used lace. And today I tried it for myself. I painted a scrap board a deep maroon red and put some lace I got from walmart over the boared. I then did a light mist of gold spray paint over the lace and it turned out pretty cool.
I did take some pictures, but have to wait to load them to my PC.
Just thought I would share the tip with any of you who are looking for different/cheap ways to paint walls in their haunt.
:).

·
She looks so normal
21,274 Posts
Sounds interesting. Looking forward to seeing the results.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
That sound like a good idea FYF,
hope you get your pics up soon.

·
Grrr
3,076 Posts
that sounds awsome. gotta show us the pictures man.

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
Another material that works is fishnet stockings. I wanted a snake skin look for my Medusa body painting and it worked well.

·
Panic time is here!
3,834 Posts
I have seen the lace used to decorate a trunk. It is an easy technique that yields nice results. Wouldn't have thought to use it on walls. Neat.

Good tip about the fishnet stockings.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Great Idea FYF,
that be a good way to make a cheap wedding dress for a corpse bride or a skelly...

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was a little upset with the results.
i don't like how you can see the grain of the wood.
so when i do my walls i will be sure to prime the wood before i paint it.
also, i would maybe choose a darker red.
so yeah.
:).

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Great Idea FYF,
that be a good way to make a cheap wedding dress for a corpse bride or a skelly...
That is an example of the great tricks you learn from experienced masquerade costumers. Some costumers going for workmanship awards will actually embroider their costume, the savvy ones just looking for stage effect use the lace and spraypaint method. From a few yards away under stage lights you literally cant tell the difference. In the ICG (international costumers guild) I learned a bunch of FX like that that work great not just for costumes but props and scenery as well... faux engraving, leather, metal, all sorts of things. FX on the cheap is something haunters and competition costumers have in common!

In fact, last weekend Costume Con (the annual ICG con) was held here in St Louis, and I chatted with Karen and Ricky Dick, who created the Castle Blood haunt in PA. You always know they're there when you get to the hotel and there's a hearse with purple bats painted all over it in the parking lot!

·
Are you always like this?
3,290 Posts
I love this effect... I have lots of scraps of different lace that I want to test now...

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Rev, I work in the theatre and I sure could use any tips/tricks you'd care to share in this costume section [on your own thread of course]. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts