Haunt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading tons of stuff about paper mache used for building props.Once its dry,how durable is it really?I have all the stuff to get started.Just very nervous about making things with it.And what about water proofing it?How is that done?

·
Registered
831 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have been reading tons of stuff about paper mache used for building props.Once its dry,how durable is it really?I have all the stuff to get started.Just very nervous about making things with it.And what about water proofing it?How is that done?
I love paper mache. I live near Vancouver, Canada, and like Seattle it rains a lot. I don't leave my mache props outside for more than a few days to be safe, but I havent had any problems with soggy props. Make sure you coat them in something. Spar varnish seals up mache projects well.

I have been wondering about using Sculpt or Coat, maybe instead of mache, or over it to seal it? Does it work? Anyone used it?

As for durability, the more layers you add the harder the mache, and I always opt for a few extra layers just to be safe. I like to start out with a wire frame before adding the paper mache. I made a big creepy tree last year, and I ended up having to cut some of its roots off because I couldn't get it out of the basement (doh) and I had to use a hack saw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts