Haunt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
In Remembrance
7,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions really. First would it be possible to make a standardized size for photos shown in the forum, say of a quarter screen. This would reduce download time for those of us that do not have cable. Some of the full screen shots can take awhile. And videos are almost out of the question in terms of download time.

Second, Is there a way that the forum could have it's own photo album system simular to photobucket. I would think that this would make sharing of in house pictures a lot easier if we all used the same system.

I do not know if these ideas are behond the ability of the present system to handle or not, but I would think that this are worth while ideas to look into.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I think thats a great idea. I feel the same way about the size of pics (especially when you are sneeking peeks of this site while your supposed to be working) and as far as the photo sharing idea - brilliant. It would work for me.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Sadly, we're at the mercy of the person posting the photo as they are all stored off-site. I have encouraged users to not post images wider than 640 pixels, but it's just impossible to police. To prevent the images from "Breaking" the borders of the forum, after an incredibly large image loads, it is automatically resized to fit a certain width. You can then click on the image to view it full-sized. However, you must still download the huge image in the first place, so that doesn't really help you out.

The second suggestion is a good one, but for me to do that, I'd wind up blasting through all of my bandwidth and storage space and that would force this to become a pay membership site so I could keep up with bandwidth costs. I will never do anything to force users to pay to be here.

So, in closing, your first request isn't possible, and the second request isn't plausible. Photobucket is the best option out there that I can think of for such a thing.

·
Registered
329 Posts
2 Questions

How do you tell if the picture you want to post is not more than 640 pixels? I'd hate to be one of the people screwing things up due to ignorance.
Can the pictures be posted on the end of the thread as thumbnails like how they used to be when they where directly attached to the post? That way people could choose to open them up or not. I have no idea what is possible here so just thrownig out ideas.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
darryl said:
How do you tell if the picture you want to post is not more than 640 pixels? I'd hate to be one of the people screwing things up due to ignorance.
Can the pictures be posted on the end of the thread as thumbnails like how they used to be when they where directly attached to the post? That way people could choose to open them up or not. I have no idea what is possible here so just thrownig out ideas.
You could use a graphics program to reduce image size, and even convert it to JPEG, which is even better for compression. I use Photoshop7 but there are free ones out there on the net.

Here is good one to start with:

PIXresizer - If you use digital photos in e-mail attachments or on the Web, this freeware program comes in handy for quickly resizing them. It can instantly reduce the file sizes of your photographs, allowing them to download much quicker than usual. As well as this, this nifty program is able to convert the file format of any images you have and will output BMPs, GIFs, JPEGs, PNGs, etc.

As far as being one of those people screwing things up due to ignorance, I'm the posterboy.

·
In Remembrance
7,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Doc, that should help with the problem. A simple, yet useful program.
And by the way where can I get one of those posters you spoke of.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks Doc. Will try that. But how do you know if the picture needs to be resized? I right clicked a pic I have saved and it told me the kb's but not the pixel size.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Let's try this:

Seems to work. thanks Dr. M

1 - 13 of 13 Posts