Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Witch-Finder of Lilburn
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paper skull, foam antlers, bucket ribcage, pine cones and trimmings from the yard. Still lots more to do.

This joker has about a 10' arm span...don't know what I was thinking...he has nothing at all below the waist...it looked great on paper but he's gonna need a lot of pine cones and pine straw to be fleshed out well. The paint has a ways to go yet too...not quite piney enough yet, though better live than in this pic...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Awesome start. It makes me think of some kind of scarecrow or totem that would be placed as a warning not to trespass on a sacred (or cursed) area. The foam antlers look very good, I just hope they don't prove to be too fragile once it's outdoors.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Very nice. You are making some cool props. Make sure you seal your antlers. As long as they don't get water is them they should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
64,110 Posts
Yeah, I know what this guy is saying as he stands there with arms outstretched - "Come, give me a hug. I won't hurt you. Really, I won't." (evil laugh):)

·
Witch-Finder of Lilburn
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I had no idea foam needed sealing -- I will indeed. Waitasec, will my urethane dissolve the antlers?

Man unless a pine limb falls on my lawn pretty soon I'll run out of time; usually by this time of year they are everywhere but this year, despite the nigh-Biblical deluges, nothing at all! I want to start with fresh needles, even if they'll need replacing eventually.

I had in mind to give him an hourglass to hold but can't find cheap material for a good-looking large hourglass. Maybe a couple of 2-liter bottles but...mehhhhhhhh, ya know?

·
Witch-Finder of Lilburn
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh in case anyone was wondering, no you can't make stuff out of pine tree branches...they are far too brittle. He is bamboo and prunings from my Japanese magnolias, taped and mudded and clayed and painted...and the thorny fingers are dead grapefruit tree branches. I considered gluing nails and tacks all over him at first to make him a thorn devil but liked pine better, as it will hopefully make him a localized type of Samhain spirit or something and thought it might be a tad safer around my kids.

·
Super Moderator
64,110 Posts
Rahn, if Mother Nature doesn't send you enough pine needles, you might try fleshing him out a bit with shredded hardwood mulch. It will give him an appropriately woodsy look and make whatever needles you get go further.

·
Muddled Moderator
28,214 Posts
Is he in your basement? Are you going to be able to get him out to your yard? LOL

He looks great. He'll definitely creep out the kiddies.

·
Witch-Finder of Lilburn
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, he's in the basement but the head is not attached yet, it's just sitting there for the photo. Otherwise nope, there'd be no way to get him out.

But if the rain doesn't let up and schedule doesn't allow me more than the very end of the day to work on it...it won't come out before 2011. :( Already I wish I'd waited another year to start making props (or started a year earlier).

·
Super Moderator
64,110 Posts
Look at it this way (and I'm sure you have) - even if this year doesn't work out well for the props, you're already that much further ahead for next year. A lot of people here work on props over months of time, and build their displays up over years of time, depending on how elaborate they want them to become.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Nice work! Please show us more as he comes along - I think that he will look great - If there is an y pine forest near you a walk into the forest should get you what you need

·
Witch-Finder of Lilburn
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Funny thing, I have a half acre of pines, and there is old straw a-plenty, but none freshly fallen yet, which is weird weird weird. Typically there are strewn limbs and cones and such year-round. Not this year. Maybe the storms are washing away more than I can tell.

Thanks RoxyBlue, indeed I am already thinking 2010 (or even 2011 if it rains like this next year). Time is too short and now I'm sick, oh joy.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I love it Rahn! He reminds me of this book cover from when I was a kid. I was always wanted to sneak into my brothers room to look at it. This prop will look great I'm sure!

Here is the Horned King that I was talking about:

·
Witch-Finder of Lilburn
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update

The Pine Devil was tweaked, sealed, and posted on my trail through the woods.

I added height to him by putting him into a discarded pool wand, which was stuck into a section of pvc in the ground. He was twelve or fifteen feet from the ground to his antlers. That's an old goat house he's next to.

Family emergencies caused me to put off the display again. But I am this much closer to a cool thing for next time.

Also learned that whatever I leave out in the rain had better be very, very well put-together.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts