Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the remaking craze that has been going on in the last couple of years, I thought it time to bring up the subject. We've already discussed Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Dawn of the Dead (I actually see this as a "re-visioning" than a remake) and there are more on the way. What about films YOU PERSONALLY think need to be remade? Films that sucked major ass the first time around that could definitely go back for better celluloid treatment. Maybe they didn't particularly suck, but could have been much better. Here go some candidates I think somebody needs to get on the ball and get rolling with, like right now:

1. Exorcist II: The Heretic. Quite possibly the worst sequel in existence today. I'm hard pressed to come up with another. If I had my way with it, I'd make it take place well after the first one and have Regan with a child that manifests the same behaviour as she did when the signs of her possession came about. Linda Blair would still be right for reprising the role as Regan. Hell, it could take a whole different turn, where it doesn't even have to do with her, just find a great director a half-way decent script and actors who aren't complete idiots. It could work.

2. Warlock III: Innocence. Disavow this movie completely. Without Julian Sands, there is no Warlock. Despite what Zombie-F thinks about him, Sands is cool as hell in this role; it's a character he was born to play.

3. Needful Things. One of my all-time favorite books by Stephen King, and one of the absolute worst film adaptations of his books IMHO. They just dropped the ball on this in so many ways that it would comprise a thread in itself to describe them.

4. Alien 3. They had no right killing off the surviving characters in Aliens, replacing them with characters who would be simple background characters in even a low budget film. No guns in an Alien movie?!? Granted, Sigourney Weaver had this thing against them during the filming of this, but that didn't seem to stop her from starring in Alien Resurrection. and there were firearms galore in that one. These Hollywood types ALWAYS flock under the banner of a "humanist" causes when one comes up just to make themselves look good. I'll bet if you look back when this film was being made there was an issue about gun control afoot.

5. Friday the 13th Parts III, V, VIII, Jason Goes To Hell and Jason X. I don't believe any of these need to be explained. Just do 'em over. :voorhees:

6. Halloween III: Season of the Witch. See the above Friday the 13th reference. Even if you disagree with what else I've written here, this one's a no-brainer. No Michael Myers, No Halloween. You're probably wondering why I didn't name anything after Part Five; that's because those films have no right to exist to begin with.

7. The Dead Next Door. Get rid of the Horror Icon name dropping, the horrible acting, the shoddy filmwork, the director and get somebody who really knows the craft and how to make Zombies scary and entertaining. This film could've been so much more but wasn't.

8. Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Yeah, it's been remade already, but it wasn't done right the first OR the second time around. All of the characters were idiots. Give at least ONE of them a reason not to go visit "Oz, The Great and Terrible." It would make for a much more entertaining and BELIEVABLE film.

9. Vampyres. No, this is not that great film by John Carpenter, rather, it's a misnamed film about lesbian ghosts. Could have been much better, and if not for the lesbian scenes, probably would've...No scratch that...no probably to it, it would've been a crappy film. Make it either about Ghosts or Vampires, but do not confuse the two. Just keep in the lesbians. :D

10. Let's Scare Jessica To Death. Heard that they were WANTING to remake this one, then I heard no more. It's weird in some ways, enough to make you want to see it with its Vampire tones and all, but it doesn't pay off and becomes an overlong, boring mess. I would really like to see a remake on this one.

There you have it. I know there's more,but I don't want to hog all the fun. Get in there and let's see what you guys can come up with.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
'Salem's Lot The original was an abomination compared to the book. Hopefully TNT will get it right with their remake.

Trilogy of Terror The original was awesome, and a modernized retelling would be ok by me.

House of the Dead Try making a good movie this time. Also, try making it about a House and not an Island.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree that Salem's Lot should be remade...I also think that the sequal should be remade too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Ring 2. I can't think of a high budget production in this day and age that screams more for the remake treatment than this film. I know some people are going to bring up the latest Exorcist films, but I haven't seen them (and really don't want to) to pass on such judgments. Terrible CGI deer, a boring story and that Aidan kid making you want to throw him down into the well with Samara Morgan. Something is terribly wrong when the original director can't even remake his own film!

High Tension. Regardless of what anyone thinks, this film started out of the gate strong, but fell dead on it's face half-way around the track.

ANY film by M. Night Shamalamadingdong, with the only possible exception being Unbreakable. Packaged as Horror films, they are nothing of the kind. The marketing department for his films need a good ol' fashion ass kicking for misleading the populace like they do. The only time I want to hear "I see dead people...all the time," would be in a George Romero Zombie film. I can't believe anyone likes his work.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I agree with you about High Tension. The twist ending of that movie was ridiculous and even "broke" certain scenes earlier in the film. An Americanized version of High Tension with an adjusted twist at the end would be a very welcome sight.

As for M. Night Ramalamadingdong... I'd have to say "The Village" deserves remake attention. Remove the twist ending from that equation and make the monsters real and that'd be a pretty nasty monster movie. Sadly, I pinned the twist ending of that movie about five minutes into it.

I'd like to see some of the Italian zombie movies that I loathe so much get an Americanized remake. Such movies as "Zombie" and "The Gates of Hell" have the potential to have some real sizzle if re-worked and put in the right hands.

Zombie-F said:
'Salem's Lot The original was an abomination compared to the book. Hopefully TNT will get it right with their remake.
Unfortunately, TNT did not get it right. This was another abomination. At least the Vampire wasn't a Nosferatu knockoff as it was in the original.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I would like to see House of Wax re-done. Not that crappy version they tried passing off last year but a good House of Wax more in line with the original Vincent Price methodology.

Speaking of Vincent Price.. there was a movie I saw as a little girl (when they showed horrors on Saturday afternoons) Someone help me remember the name so I can rent it if possible. ... It was clips I believe, one part there was a chef that was a monstrosoty, mean and large. he had poodles so Vincent Price (his character was a scorned actor I believe) chopped up his poodles and fed them to him until he died. Then he killed some other people in distinctive manners as to their characters. Anyone know what the name of that movie was? I would like to see that remade....

Also, Who Slew Auntie Roo. I bet that could be done really well with all the technology nowadays....

All of these they should "remake with more money" as FE said.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
A terrible remake in my eyes was "the Shining" I would like to see that done right....with old Jacko though - he makes the movie

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know, I find it pretty funny when people prefer the Stanley Kubrick version (I am one of those) of The Shining as opposed to the more faithful adaptation of the book that Stephen King gave his stamp of approval on. King reportedly hates the Nicholson one, and so much more is the pity. It's arguably the best version, despite the obvious liberties Kubrick took when interpreting this to film.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Sinister said:
You know, I find it pretty funny when people prefer the Stanley Kubrick version (I am one of those) of The Shining as opposed to the more faithful adaptation of the book that Stephen King gave his stamp of approval on. King reportedly hates the Nicholson one, and so much more is the pity. It's arguably the best version, despite the obvious liberties Kubrick took when interpreting this to film.
I know eh, I totally agree. I read a book as a seperate entity from a movie. Its probably because I read all of Stephen Kings stuff (I had a hard time for about 5 years, 3 years back - his stuff was crappyish then) anyway. Sometimes they come back is a better novel too but the movie is great. I also think that Shawshank Redemption the movie was a seperate entity from Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank redemption. Anyway.. wrong thread to argue the Stephen King point.

But, i agree, the first is better, the second more like the book but I find they made it more like a "ghost" movie than a "cabin fever" movie that the book originally intended. ... its all in interpretation. So I would like to see Jack do the shining again (with a different wife though, someone plain but not her). Thats just me. Perhaps he could do the movie with me. YES! thats it....

So another movie i would like to see remade would be IT

·
Registered
6 Posts
i dunno what NEEDS remaking theyre doing a pretty good job of ruining good movies i loved. ( sorry just saw the omen, and saw the trailer for hollow man with nicholas cage and about died.....now that gets to be ruined yay).... i agree with the salem's lot comment though 100 percent. they could try to remake last house on the left i suppose

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hellrazor said:
I know eh, I totally agree. I read a book as a seperate entity from a movie. Its probably because I read all of Stephen Kings stuff (I had a hard time for about 5 years, 3 years back - his stuff was crappyish then) anyway. Sometimes they come back is a better novel too but the movie is great. I also think that Shawshank Redemption the movie was a seperate entity from Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank redemption. Anyway.. wrong thread to argue the Stephen King point.

But, i agree, the first is better, the second more like the book but I find they made it more like a "ghost" movie than a "cabin fever" movie that the book originally intended. ... its all in interpretation. So I would like to see Jack do the shining again (with a different wife though, someone plain but not her). Thats just me. Perhaps he could do the movie with me. YES! thats it....

So another movie i would like to see remade would be IT
I agree with every statement you made above, Raze. However, I think Rebecca DeMornay was perfectly cast as Wendy Torrance in the second movie. Nicholson is too old for the role now, but his son Christian Slater might be a good casting choice. Anyone who doesn't thnk so needs to go back and watch a few of his films like Heathers and True Romance. Slater plays a psycho to perfection and he acts and looks similar to Nicholson. Perfect casting IMHO.

IT would be an obvious choice for a remake. But only if they could get Tim Curry to reprise his role as Pennywise. He OWNED that movie!

·
Dear Beer, Thanks. :D
1,061 Posts
With regards to IT, why don't they make a movie twice and then make me watch it... twice. Too long with the same plot, different actors. (snore)
As a rule, Stephen King movies are pretty weak, there are exceptions Shining (Kubric), Semetary etc. but The Night Flyer? Cats Eye? Sleepwalkers? The list of shame goes on and on...

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Sinister said:
INicholson is too old for the role now, but his son Christian Slater might be a good casting choice. Anyone who doesn't thnk so needs to go back and watch a few of his films like Heathers and True Romance. Slater plays a psycho to perfection and he acts and looks similar to Nicholson. Perfect casting IMHO.

IT would be an obvious choice for a remake. But only if they could get Tim Curry to reprise his role as Pennywise. He OWNED that movie!
Sinister! I completly agree with your statements too. I lOOOOVVEE Christian Slater and never knew until now that he was Jacks son, are you serious.... I can totally see it.. Thats why I like him so much too!

As far as IT - I totally agree that Tim Curry owned that movie. Another one of my favorite actors -anyone who can do Rocky Horror is definatly awesome (sidetrack: play of Rocky in Toronto next April - I cant wait to go!)

So I just wanted to post my agreement, gotta go rent those 2 now, got a hankerin for some Jacko and clowns...lol

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Slater isn't really Nicholson's son, but he is often referred to as because of their similarities.

Stephen King's adaptations are usually weak because they have poor script writers who don't know the first thing about the source material. It would be easy to make each and every one of his good books great movies if they didn't get someone with the I.Q. of a peanut working on an option. I understand you can't do a complete adaptation because of length, but please, DON'T MAKE **** UP AND STICK IT IN THERE THAT WASN'T IN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!! Practically everyone of the movies are this way. Once, just once I would like to see an honest to good rendering of his novels. :(

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'd like a few more old Vincent Price movies redone with a better budget. Maybe the Fall of the House of Usher would be a good start.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts