Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a how-to about how to make some ankle ticklers?

I'm assuming PVC pipe with holes drilled every few inches and skinny ruber tubes shoved into the holes, then send some air through it to make them jump around.

I'm just not sure how to fasten all of that together, so if anyone has a how-to, please let me know!

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
At Disney they have an attraction called "Honey I Shrunk The Audience". Under the chairs are tubes positioned to blow air at your ankles. They say something about escaped rats in the audience and everyone screams when the air hits their ankles. Simple and effective.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Instead of just sticking the tubes into the holes, drill the appropriate size hole ( I think it's 3/8") and force thread male quick connect or hose barb fittings into the holes. Tap them in, remove, and then rethread back in with plumbers dope or 2 part epoxy. Use small hose clamps to hold the tubing on the fittings. Doing it this way will keep the tubing from flying off and no leaking.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At Disney they have an attraction called "Honey I Shrunk The Audience". Under the chairs are tubes positioned to blow air at your ankles. They say something about escaped rats in the audience and everyone screams when the air hits their ankles. Simple and effective.
Yeah, same thing.
I saw that show when I was little.
It was a great effect haha.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Instead of just sticking the tubes into the holes, drill the appropriate size hole ( I think it's 3/8") and force thread male quick connect or hose barb fittings into the holes. Tap them in, remove, and then rethread back in with plumbers dope or 2 part epoxy. Use small hose clamps to hold the tubing on the fittings. Doing it this way will keep the tubing from flying off and no leaking.
Yeah I realized that actually, that they'd fly off if I just "stuck them in". :p

·
Registered
98 Posts
It would be a lot simpler to just go buy a 1/8" NPT tapping tool at Home Depot or Lowes.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=232565-1083-358171&lpage=none

The package will tell you the exact sized drill bit you need. Then drill holes in your PVC pipe and screw the tap into them with any old wrench. This will make threads in the holes that will accept a 5/32" tube x 1/8" NPT male straight connector which you can buy for 62 cents each here.
http://www.fittingsdepot.com/Straight_connectors.html

Then stick lengths of 5/32" hose into the connectors. You can probably get it at any hardware store. Get the softer stuff.

Tap another hole for your solenoid or air hose to get air in. Probably 1/4" NPT
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=232530-1083-358181&lpage=none

I usually tap this into one of the end caps. The nice thing about the straight connectors is you can easily replace damaged or brocken hoses.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ankle whippers

Hey Erick,

Just wanted to let you know you will need a lot of air for this. Use surgical tubing for the whips, it is the perfect medium for the whipper hose. Also, make sure you plumb in at least 1/2" pipe to no more than about 6 ports or so. Unless you are using only one or two ankle whippers, 1/4" or even 3/8" supply is inferior. You need to get a high flow dump valve like an 1/2" Asco valve, with about a 5-gallon reserve behind it. I am having to fix a ton of these that someone built and they are worthless as they stand with 3/8" supply plumbing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am not sure of the dimension of the surgical tube. I used 5/32" hose and it worked great. I used 3/4" pipe, about 10 feet long with about 6 tubes. I used a 3/8" supply and a 1/4" solenoid valve with no problems. The storage tank is a must. I should have mentioned that. I use an 11 gallon storage tank for the entire room, which had more than just the ankle ticklers. I used them in my spider room.
Here is a video.
Giant Spider Mechanism :: spiderroomvid.flv video by Brckee1 - [email protected]@[email protected]@http://vid43.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/Brckee1/Giant%20Spider%20Mechanism/[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@e375/Brckee1/Giant%20Spider%20Mechanism/spiderroomvid

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I used a similar setup as Brckee1 for a snake pit 2 years ago and it worked great. I got the 5/32 (4mm) fittings (60pcs for $20) and polyurethane tubing (1000' for $40) off ebay.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I was wondering... how much actual pressure do ankle ticklers need? Seems to me the kind of thing that's more dependent on volume of air passing through than the pressure... could a high volume air mover be used instead of a compressor? Like an industrial blower fan? If it worked it would be a way of avoiding the tank recharge time... would probably be quieter too. Just curious...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used a 3/4" lawn sprinkler solenoid valve. It'll handle 120 psi, and allows a very decent flow at a lower pressure. I also found that a good size reservoir is necessary as well as a flow control valve for fine tuning.

I don't think a blower would generate enough pressure. Fluid power is always a combination of flow volume and pressure.
If you used large cloth tubes, a blower would work great. Sort of like one of those tall attention grabbing, blower inflated, whipping around, used car lot things.
With smaller more rigid tubes, you'll need higher pressure to achieve the same flailing about motion.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I totaly agree with Doomsday, I think you right on the money! I use 10 5/32" hoses, 5 on each side of the hallway, attached to 1/2 pipe and a SMC solenoid valve at 130psi but you need a reserve tank right before the valve otherwise the hoses flailing action drops very rapidly after the initial burst.

·
Registered
402 Posts
man this all sounds cool but do any of U have any pics of your set-up? I want to do somthing like this and I already have most of the stuff even a 5 gallon reserve tank....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts