Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Evil, Wicked, Mean, Nasty
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently working on a couple of columns to go with my cemetary fence. I'll have about fifty feet of fence with two columns at the entrance. Inside one of the columns, I've built a pneumatic popup.

I thought I should snap a few photos in process, just in case anyone is interested in the workings. So far, I've just been testing the mechanics and getting the structures built. I have no idea what I'll end up with on the top of the columns. Possibly gargoyles if I can find two good ones that match. I like the one I have but I can't find a match. All the ones I find that are similar have canvas wings.

On the front of each column is a small light (not drawn on my original sketch). I wired an outlet inside each column. I have controller for the popup, but I think I'm going to leave it without a controller. I like the idea of remotely controlling the outlet rather than using a PIR.

The images shown are a bit messy...I was testing the movement. My first attempts didn't go so well. I had the flow set so fast, the cylinder blew a hole in the top of my skull. I don't want anyone having a heart attack...so I've opted for a slow, creepy speed.

The columns are approximately four feet tall. The bottom half of each column will remain hollow so I can cover a set of home speakers or a small crate amp in each. That area will be covered with carved foam to look like brick or stonework. I'm still pondering whether to leave a flat oval area uncarved...for a plaque on each column.

I'll coat each column with drylok and then paint them a dreary gray (w/white trim) to match the house.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Dam-it!....now look what I have to build......only 11 days left.........great job!

·
Super Moderator
64,107 Posts
I love this comment for its ambiguity:

"I had the flow set so fast, the cylinder blew a hole in the top of my skull"

:googly:

The good news is, you didn't blow a hole in one of your gargoyles - THAT would be heartbreaking:)

·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comments.

I have both columns supported and the shells completed. (Horizonal supports help brace it in all directions. Takes a bit of time to get those done.)

Roxy - Those gargoyles are pretty light weight. Hmmm...wonder how high he'd go?

I didn't build any mechanism into the second column for a reason. At some point, maybe I'll ask for donations. To collect....I could build a skeleton hand mechanism, rigged like one of those old coffin banks. The person puts a bill onto the column ....which triggers a hand to come out of the top and sweep the bill into an awaiting basket inside the column. (I know...I should seek counseling.)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
(I know...I should seek counseling.)
My wife says that too. I tell her this is my form of counselling and it's a lot less expensive than visits to a head shrinker.

·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I managed to carve out foam on one of the columns and get a first coat of DryLok on it. I had the store tint my DryLok to a gray color.

It looks corpse blue in the photo and I'm quite sure it's not blue. It was gray when I painted it. Now I'm wondering if it changed color when the paint dried. lol. The perspective of the image makes it look a bit stocky.

Now I have to get them both to this point and weather them. I'm pondering whether I should paint the top and bottom white. And eventually add the trim in the middle, also in white. Figuring it would look something like this....

·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
To carve the brick pattern, I draw the bricks on pink foam with a ball point pen and ruler. Then I use a handheld trim router to carve out the grout area.

Examples

·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

The completed columns. (Both columns now have the black disc on the top. The one is the photo is the one with pneumatics built in.)

·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm new to the forum-this is awesome. I've just started making pnuematic props. You guys rock.
That's such a nice comment. You almost brought a tear to my eye.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find some great ideas, and hopefully contribute a few of your own. Be sure to post a "hello" in the welcome thread so everyone has a chance to say hi.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts