Haunt Forum banner

Would you participate in posting Product Reviews if there were a forum for it?

• Yes

Votes: 21 80.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 15.4%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After posting a thread on a fogger, and having read so many others, I'm wondering it if might be a consideration at some point to have a "Product Review" forum. This could be a place for discussion of various equipment components and follow up comment from those who own them or have experience with them. On a couple of the large Reef Aquarium BB's I belong to, these forums are a great resource to learn about equipment and to post favorable and negative comments/experiences about them. Just thinking out loud here. Given the lighting, foggers, servos, pneumatics, even adhesives that are used, it might see considerable traffic.

·
A little bit bent...
3,232 Posts
I like this idea. Occasionally product comments or reviews come up in the course of discussing how that product performed in conjunction with a prop. The fog chiller thread is a good example of this - people evaluate the performance of the chiller designs when used with various wattage foggers, and sometimes include comments as to the quality/performance of the fogger.
I think a "Product Review" forum would also help prevent us from buying poorly made stuff. Gotta be careful about the things one posts, though. Dissing a manufacturer can sometimes lead to a flame war, if not a lawsuit.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gotta be careful about the things one posts, though. Dissing a manufacturer can sometimes lead to a flame war, if not a lawsuit.
Agreed. I think as long as the poster remains subjective and is not out and out trashing a product or slamming a company, it allows a discussion to be pretty open; e.g. "That fogger is a piece of crap and the company should be burned down" is a tad harsh:) otoh, stating "I have the same fogger and it stopped working after three hours. I can't recommend it to anyone" is reasonable and gives someone a valid POV to consider.
Not sure if it should include our homemade props, but more so the components used to make them. You can give your opinions of what works well, what doesn't, etc..
:jol:

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I like the idea. The only caveat that I'd have with this is people staying subjective and only focusing on the review of the product without degenerating into posting slanderous things about the product manufacturer. If I do run with this idea, the forum would be a 100% moderated forum, meaning NOBODY'S post would appear until proofread by the forum's moderator and approved. This would simply be to prevent slanderous articles from appearing here.

Anyone else interested in this idea? Would there be enough participation to warrant the creation of this forum?

·
Registered
820 Posts
I like the idea. The only caveat that I'd have with this is people staying subjective and only focusing on the review of the product without degenerating into posting slanderous things about the product manufacturer. If I do run with this idea, the forum would be a 100% moderated forum, meaning NOBODY'S post would appear until proofread by the forum's moderator and approved. This would simply be to prevent slanderous articles from appearing here.

Anyone else interested in this idea? Would there be enough participation to warrant the creation of this forum?
thats exactly what i was thinking. but i see the idea usfull....if we have the moderator check the stuff before hand it would work out fine

i say go for it

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
It sounds good to me and having it moderated would keep it informational.
Thumbs up!

·
Banned
4,493 Posts
I think it would be a great resource,I also think it will be alot of work for the mod..02

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
I think it would be a great resource,I also think it will be alot of work for the mod..02
The amount of work for the mod would depend on the participation of the forum members. If we only have 10 product reviews then the mod won't be too busy :D

·
Registered
823 Posts
I tell you what - it may be really informative. One suggestion that may be tried - is to come up with a guideline to follow regarding the review. It could be as simple as Product Name, Cost, Where Purchased, Specs, and Authors Opinion.

It would probably be smart to constrain the review to keep it from rambling and would help in moderation.

I like the idea.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
This is a great idea especially if it included to some extent DIY projects much like the fog chiller. it would also need to be structured to be subjective ie. Doees product/ project perform as described?
is the product / project cost effective?
Standard operation long term operation and performance
so on as such etc

·
Registered
10,924 Posts
I like the idea... I say let's do it!

I also agree that we should be able to post DIY items like the fog chiller as well.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I like the idea... I say let's do it!

I also agree that we should be able to post DIY items like the fog chiller as well.
I think not, because the propbuilding forums are for just such discussions.

I also want to make sure that people post positive reviews just as much as they do negative ones. If it turns into a forum full of nothing but product complaints, I don't think it'll last here.

·
Registered
820 Posts
i agree with zombie in diy idea....its the same thing with the classified sections...
i think we would need some sort of guide line, like a thing that you can only post so many negative reviews for every positive one you post

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
I think it's a good idea and I would participate if I was in a position to do so. It could be very helpful to members of HauntForum.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Very good idea and although i cannot do videos it would be nice to see an action aspect also.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I hate to be the one to **** in the punch bowl here, but I can't see anything but disastrous results here. Not only would you be adding to what in my opinion is turning convoluted with all the categories/sub-categories in the Halloween section, but someone is sure to get a bad product they don't think is worth a crap that someone recommended. Then where do you go from there? I say leave well enough alone and if you wanted to do something like that, give it a trial run as a sub-category and decide from there if a forum all it's own is worth the trouble. It may sound like a good idea in theory, but in the long run Z will wonder why he bothered. I guess we'll see.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts