Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m think of doing a fantasy theme this year but have no idea how I would do it. When I say fantasy I mean knights, dragons, fairies, and all things magical. It will easy to do the Halloween party, black light stars, caldrons, and other witch/fantasy related items.

What I need is ideas for the outside of the house. I’m thinking of putting up the Christmas lights on the house (all blue) to give it that magical/enchanted look but, what else can I do to fit this theme? One thing is it can’t have anything “scary” to fit what my 7 year old wants this year. I figure if I do fantasy I will get away from cute and still have fun with my youngest this year.

Any ideas are welcome…..

·
Registered
51 Posts
A Dragon would be cool but, I have no idea how I would do that?? :googly:
I wouldn't and don't either. haha. However, if you use PVC pipe as an "outline" of the dragon, use chicken wire to form the shape and use Great Stuff to create the "skin". Then cut off the extra great stuff to make it look more realistic, then spray some spray paint on him (maybe red paint?, or green, not sure what dragon colors are, hahaha). You might even be able to buy a dragon mask somewhere around halloween time when all the costums start coming out. (usually around august time). I'm sure they will have a dragon mask somewhere...lol.

I've never done this before so it's all just working together in my head. Not sure if actually doing it will work in real life. :confused:

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Little Folk.

You know... elves, pixies, brownies, hobgoblins, whatnot... use PVC to make little 2-foot humanoid frames, then use your favorite padding and skinning technique to surface the little guys. They could be hiding behind and peeking around things. Do some groundbreakers, but instead of zombies, they could be dwarf or gnome miners with picks and shovels. Did you see GothKim's dancing ghosts? Instead of FCG-type ghosts you could substitute a ring of dancing faeries; smaller, maybe lit golden instead of blue. How about a garden gnome (like from "Amelie" and later the Travelocity commercials) posing in front of your house while another one is taking his picture? (Okay, maybe that one was kinda stupid, but that's how my sense of humor works...):googly:

Ooh! Ooh! Find a good blueprint for a lawn mausoleum, but make it as a gingerbread house with a witch peeking out the door! Can't have Halloween with a ZERO threat matrix, right?:D

·
Panic time is here!
3,834 Posts
Actually, I think Revenant hit on something with the gingerbread mausoleum.
Most Faerie Tales are dark in the center and sugar coated on the oustside.
You could base your theme on Hansel and Gretel or other Grimm tales. That way you get some dark in with child's fantasy without being traditional scary.

I can't remember who does this but somebody here on uses toole fabric in the yard. You could hang it or wrap it around trees and light it with spots or even some string lights. When you hang string lights behind the fabric it diffuses the lights into little stars. Maybe you could make some panels for the front of the house. Just a thought! Netting might even be cheaper.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Some movies to check out for inspiration might be any of the Lord of the Ring series; The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe; Harry Potter; First Knight, etc.
Your props would be big and heavy-wood and steel mostly.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
also if you are going little people way u really dont need to use pvc..just stuff plastics shopping bags with paper and then stuff your clothes that you choose for your little guys..also can use wire coat hangers to make bends in arms and legs if you wanted ...you can do same for shoes just stuff handle length up leg then.
yup any kind of shiny fabric..or shiny webbing with sparkly spider(s) like a charlolets web thing?
maybe one of those lights that circle and shine stars or whatever on a ceiling or a sheet covered lean to.. small fake camp fire?
these may be too cute but,
you can make mushroom chairs for elves to sit on
maybe a small rainbow effect with a pot o gold (candy) at the end.
a tinkerbelle tree (little fairies on a string of lights hanging from a tree)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Little folk...Someone (sadly I don't member who) uses tomato cages turned upside down as a starter base for their haunt figures. They'd be a perfect size for trolls and such. Not to mention cheap and easy.

Toole...When I was little, had a dance teacher, who along w/her maid, actually hand-sewed all our recital costumes(I'm dating myself).In the spring she always had a sm. garden, tomatos and such. Anyhow she would drape all her leftover toole(every color of the rainbow) over the tomato stakes to keep the birds off her tomatos. Allthough this was ment for practical purposes, it evoked a strong fantasy feeling, and is a visual that I remember to this day. If you have trees or even along the eaves of your house, kinda randomly bunch and drape lenghts of toole. Maybe even use it to make some streamers hanging down. Oh, how about some May-Poles w/ribbon streamers that will blow in the wind.

Since it's after Easter you could probably even find ribbon and toole in pastel colors on sale.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
A magic mirror! Like the evil queen's from Snow White.

get a big piece of plexiglass, and put mirror window film on it. Make the frame out of foam, monster mud, mache, whatever. brace it so it looks like it's leaning up against something, have the sides curtained off so it's totally dark behind the mirror... and have someone black-clad and wearing the white mask (or better yet a white make-up depiction of the mask) sitting behind it. When the ToTs walk up to the mirror and look in it (because you know they will), the actor behind the mirror fades on a light so the mask appears in the reflection. And the actor can talk to the kids and interact with them.

I think someone out there's even got a computer program with a digital voice-reactive rendition of the mask on it so you can mount a monitor behind the mirror and do it that way, but for young kids, the low-tech live way would work just fine.

Feeling overwhelmed by suggestions yet? We're just getting warmed up...
;) :D :jol:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WOW guys and gals what some great ideas! I'm working some overtime today so will not get to read and take-in all the suggestions until tomorrow but, I'll get back to this thread as soon as I can. :eek: :D

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I was having a really hard time thinking of anything but, you guys and gals have my mind working overtime now. I’ll have to try a couple of your ideas in the next few weeks as the weather here in Utah gets warmer and allows me to work in my garage, and test stuff in the yard.

This just might work…:D

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Yw EITD..
hope to see some progress pics... maybe
good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey i liked the dragon idea and was thinking do a pvc neck and head and then coverthen hook it up to pneumatic ram add in some glowing eyes and and a fog machine and throw in some well placed speakers and put it on the back side of your roof and then hook it up to a sensor that sits at a far away distance for people to see it as they are walking up. they would see this head peek over your roof with glowing eyes and smoke coming out of it nose. now that would be cool

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
there are a few threads here on dragon type makings somewhere ..they have been using the stationary or animated reindeers I think for something like that..
all you would need to do is the outer shell covering.. paper mache..dryer lint clay something like that.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I like pkh's suggestion about using the dragon as a roof prop, sorta like the giant spider. Though at proper scale I wouldn't bother animating it, except maybe the eyes moving like its looking around. Have the head peeking over the ridgeline, and a set of claws on either side like a giant Killroy Was Here. And a little 400W fogger to do some intermittent smoke jets out the nostrils would be way cool.

How about a dragon egg clutch, like from Dragonriders of Pern? Have a few large eggs, one with a baby dragon pushing his way out (maybe even animated to show him pushing and struggling), another empty shell with a wet baby dragon crawling away from it. A couple of static people props, young kids in medieval garb, standing a distance away watching and coaxing. Heck, if you colored the dragons a la Pern you'd probably get some real kudos from adults who've read the series, as many have.

I went out with a girl who was into horses and dragons. She had a real horse skull and a small model one and used them to make dragon heads; she'd do a mache knockoff of the skull and then build on it using pictures of reptiles as guides. Made some very believable dragon heads that way.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Revenart, I would love to do a dragon but I don't think I will have the time this summer for that big a project. I'm looking at some of the other suggestions and which ones I'll have the time and resorces to do.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts