Haunt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a group of animated decorations I display in my front dining room windows at Christmas time. I have them powered by inexpensive Alexa smart plugs that turn them on and off on a schedule.

I am considering purchasing an inexpensive projector that I would use for some AtmosFX animations. Probably input from the projector's USB port. Also from the inside of the house.

I really was hoping that I might be able to schedule the projected display similar to the way I do my other animated decorations. Preferably on a schedule via something like the smart plugs I use with Alexa.

But I am concerned that a) by turning the power on to the projector I wouldn't be able to auto play a loop and b) turning the power off to the plug powering the projector would hurt the bulb.

A backup would be a projector I could connect to my WIFI and then via some kind of app start the projector and start a loop. So we could turn the display on when we aren't home.

Any one doing something similar? Either scheduling a display or controlling it remotely?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I currently have a group of animated decorations I display in my front dining room windows at Christmas time. I have them powered by inexpensive Alexa smart plugs that turn them on and off on a schedule.

I am considering purchasing an inexpensive projector that I would use for some AtmosFX animations. Probably input from the projector's USB port. Also from the inside of the house.

I really was hoping that I might be able to schedule the projected display similar to the way I do my other animated decorations. Preferably on a schedule via something like the smart plugs I use with Alexa.

But I am concerned that a) by turning the power on to the projector I wouldn't be able to auto play a loop and b) turning the power off to the plug powering the projector would hurt the bulb.

A backup would be a projector I could connect to my WIFI and then via some kind of app start the projector and start a loop. So we could turn the display on when we aren't home.

Any one doing something similar? Either scheduling a display or controlling it remotely?

Thanks!
Think I may have answered my own questions. Found on Amazon Switchbot Button Pusher and Switchbot Hub Plus. Button Pusher by itself may resolve the schedule issue. Hub adds Alexa connectivity and remote access over the cloud.

On order.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Interesting little gadget. I'd say you are on the right track. Turning the projector on might not be too much of an issue - might be possible to feed it a looping video play list all the time, so when it came on it would be playing. (Though might be hard to sych with the exact start of a video)

Turning off might be tricky as you say. Typically the projectors with metal halide bulbs want a 'bulb off, fan on' cool down period before turning completely off, so a power cut might not be good at that point. Not sure on the newer LED models.... possibly they can just go directly off?

But either way the button pusher looks like it might solve some of those issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting little gadget. I'd say you are on the right track. Turning the projector on might not be too much of an issue - might be possible to feed it a looping video play list all the time, so when it came on it would be playing. (Though might be hard to sych with the exact start of a video)

Turning off might be tricky as you say. Typically the projectors with metal halide bulbs want a 'bulb off, fan on' cool down period before turning completely off, so a power cut might not be good at that point. Not sure on the newer LED models.... possibly they can just go directly off?

But either way the button pusher looks like it might solve some of those issues.
The Switchbot can be scheduled to turn the projector on and to turn the projector off. Since it is using the projector's button to do both I don't think there is a cool down issue.

The ultimate goal is to have the animation run unattended. What I am going to try is a chromebook laptop running a video loop. Just leave it on 24 hours. If the power goes out the laptop battery should take over if the outage isn't long. Connect the chromebook to the projector via a USB-C to HDMI dongle. Then have the Switchbot turn the projector on and off. The issue will be if the projector can't automatically play the HDMI input when being turned on. Need to experiment and see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts