Haunt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find any information on a projector that would work well in the daylight. I have always wanted to use digital decorating in our graveyard haunt, however, trick or treating in my area is from 5-7pm. It doesn't get dark until around 7. I'd prefer not to spend over $200 if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Going to be tough as you're competing against the sun, and you can never 'project' anything darker than the original surface. Plus, any surface other than pure white will be absorbing some of your projected light and further killing your contrast.

With that said, the best you could hope for would be to go with the highest brightness and ideally highest contrast projector you can find. I'd also plan to project on the smallest area practical to help keep brightness high.

When searching the projector, I believe the two main ratings are lux (illumination on a surface at a distance) and lumens (total light output), so only compare lux/lux or lumens/lumens, or use a calculator to convert: https://lamphq.com/lux-lumens-conversion/

Lastly, I'd say avoid any cheap "50000000 lux" (or lumen) projectors you find. Real numbers are likely to be in the "couple thousand" range. Everything else is just advertising hype, or someone's "0" key got stuck at the most opportune time (for them!)

As a bonus tidbit - one thing that occurs to me - you might check out any local rental centers, libraries, etc. It's possible they might have projectors for loan or rent. You might be able to get a better projector for a night or two vs buying one.

Good luck!

·
Registered
237 Posts
ToT is only allowed from 5-7? What kind of Puritanical 1950's part of the country do you live in? I say "Move".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ToT is only allowed from 5-7? What kind of Puritanical 1950's part of the country do you live in? I say "Move".
LOL!! I know. It's ridiculous. When I was growing up we didn't have trick or treat set hours. I can remember leaving the house at 5 & TOT till 9 or so. If a house didn't have it's porch lights on you didn't go there.

·
Super Moderator
64,290 Posts
Yep, sunlight is such a killjoy when it comes to projections:p

If you have an area that can be partially walled in with opaque tarps or other materials that will block sunlight, you may be able to successfully set up a projection effect inside it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts