Haunt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first year to have made a mache prop and I'm curious about the best way to store it? I usually put stuff up in the attic, but being in TX it gets real hot up there in the summer. Any tips?

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Each element of Halloween supplies has it's own requirements. While the paper mache will love the heat and dry, other items won't. Electrical items with cords are best kept at normal room temperatures. It will keep them from getting brittle. The same goes for any latex props. Heat is one of the big killers of latex, making it break down much faster than normal. Masks should be stuffed inside to help them retain their shape, and powdered with baby powder to keep them from sticking to each other. Do not use Talcum powder, it is a mineral which will break down the latex. Keep costumes and fabrics stored safely from bug invasions and dampness. Make sure to remove any batteries from your haunt devices, dropping spiders, flying bats, etc.. A burst battery in storage will ruin them.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Sounds like you're a pro, Vlad. Care to come down here and show me the right way to store my stuff? Feel free to start at the garage door and pack up neatly as you go along.....:D

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Glad to Pattie, I think the safest way to pack your props, would be into our van, hehehe.........

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
i agree with the heat distroying the latex props! the haunted house i work at has thrown away many latex props due to the heat causing them to fall apart... it sucks because the stuff gets really expensive and you only get a couple years with them if you leave them in the heat

·
Registered
215 Posts
if it's paper I wouldn't be too concerned with temperature as much as humidity, and even that isn't very critical so long as it stays consistent. large changes in humidity levels could cause a problem. Honeslty, unless you're trying to make this thing last for decades, which probably won't happen anyway, I'd just wrap it to protect it from dust and bumps and not worry about it. I've had creatures with hands and parts made out of nothing but wire and masking tape with paint on it, and they have held up for about 4 years now. some paint wear is all.

·
Registered
743 Posts
This is my first year to have made a mache prop and I'm curious about the best way to store it? I usually put stuff up in the attic, but being in TX it gets real hot up there in the summer. Any tips?
Man I wish I had a nice dry place like that to store my mache items. Living not far from Vancouver, BC and having a basement to use for storage I have humidity to deal with all year round. Everything survives though.

It always pays off to be extra careful and pack stuff up properly!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Made a papier mache skeleton one year and stored it at my brother-in-law's farm in a shed and the mice got to the scull. He had bad news for me, that they chewed a hole in it and used it as a nest. When I saw it, it looked great. Like someone had bashed the guy's scull in at that spot. I used it that year again. Papier mache doesn't last very many years however. Countless times we made papier mache graves, which broke when we went to store them, rendering them garbage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts