Haunt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Can't keep up with Roxy!
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having any luck this year with finding props at yard sales? I am doing pretty well.

I have found a sign, a grip reaper bust, lights and a few other things I can't remember right now.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Nothing yet this year, but last year about this time I went to one that was selling off all the left over stock from their seasonal Halloween store. Two pickup loads! The best deal being a 6' count Dracula for $40. (retails for $300)
Happy Hunting, tis' the season...

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I have found some really nice dark trenchcoats that I have already used in props, and I picked up a solid brass tealight lantern for 50 cents. Also got a large coil of some wicked looking thick rope for 50 cents....tomorrow is my big sale-shopping day and I'm psyched!

·
In Remembrance
7,646 Posts
Today I found a plug-in controlled by a dimmer switch in a nice metal box with cord for a dollar. Should come in handy for my foam cutter. But this is just the start of the season for me. I am still looking for those reindeer to make wolves out of.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I got a pair of old welders glasses. They are thick plastic with super dark lenses( mad sciencists or night creature with sensitive eyes) I got a some stuff the next day. Marked FREE. old croquet mallet, plastic containers, glass light covers, and a small wooden pallett.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Lets see... two chandeliers, an old 3 foot mirror, three old lanterns, two big lots lanterns, a block and tackle, an old crate, a candelabra, a trunk, a 5 1/2 foot mirror and some other really weird looking red lantern thing.

·
Can't keep up with Roxy!
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bauton... get your mind out of the gutter.

A grim reaper bust is basically a statue maybe 15 inches high. It is a view of a grim reaper from his upper stomach up to his head and includes one full arm and part of his other arm. It is made of a rubber outside with foam on the inside.

Hopefully, that describes it well enough... tough one to describe.

·
Registered
458 Posts
i think he was making fun of your usage of GRIP instead of grim - we know what a bust is silly girl - hehe - we were just wondering what a grip reasper bust was :) - riley

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found

well lets see;
7 tea light lanturns $1 ea
3 outdoor lights (the kind you use at your front door) $1 ea
10 battery operated candles @2 for the lot
a bag of sea shells and some loot for teh treasure chest & a pirate hat $1
a set of powered speakers $2
3 pair of pants and a smock $2
and the hunt continues

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got a small fogger, light-up motion cat (moves tail, paw and head side to side), grim reaper bust with cauldron, caution tape and CD for $25. Also found a plain chest (great for Pirate Treasure chest) for $2.50. Already fixed it up, and it looks Great!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
This is great. I guess I'm going to have to start checking out my local yard sales.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether there are certain neighborhood types (high income vs. lower income) or certain types of sales (flea markets vs. residential) that tend to have more Halloween stuff?

Or is it more a crap shoot?

·
Can't keep up with Roxy!
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doh! Didn't even realize I typed "grip" instead of "grim". Spell check... priceless... when used.

I find yard sales to be hit or miss. Good luck.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Last year I got a really great trunk and some sheer curtain panels. About a month ago I got this really cool silver pitcher for a $1.00.

I also go to flea markets, thats where I usually find the good stuff for cheap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts