Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a Pumkin Demon Scarecrow thingy. Figured I'd show it off a little and show how I made the head.

I started with a plastic skull and a resin pumkin. Cut a hole in the pumkin and inserted the skull.

Next I whipped up some sculpting material using latex paint, powdered floor leveler/concrete crack filler and cotton. Basically used the material to fill the seam where the skull fit into the pumkin and to sculp the shape of the face. I didn't mix it well enough so it dried rough. No problem though because I planned on sanding the material to smooth it out anyway.

After sanding I painted a basic undercoat of darker colors to create depth.

After that dried it was a mtter of finishing the painting, adding details such as the ping pong ball eyeballs and hot glue drool. Then a couple of coats of poly and it's done.

It should look pretty wicked when it's done. The entire prop is going to be huge. Probably movement in the head and arms. I'll keep ya'll posted on the whole project.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah, I've never done any sculping or anything like this before, so it was a learning experience. The hot glue drool was actually an accident at 1st. A little glue dripped down from one of the teeth, and I thought it loked cool.....so I added more to make it look like slober. A trick I'll use in the future for sure.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This has inspired me... I'm hoping to pull off a hodge-podge of European and American folk tales for 2014, and now I'm trying to fit pumpkin skulls into it (deranged nature spirits comes to mind). Plus my 6 year old daughter, who is haunt approved, keeps belting me with different ideas... many of which are just surreal (or outright silly like her 'bathroom scene' zombies). I guess the fruit doesn't fall too far from the crab apple tree... :jol:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This has inspired me... I'm hoping to pull off a hodge-podge of European and American folk tales for 2014, and now I'm trying to fit pumpkin skulls into it (deranged nature spirits comes to mind). Plus my 6 year old daughter, who is haunt approved, keeps belting me with different ideas... many of which are just surreal (or outright silly like her 'bathroom scene' zombies). I guess the fruit doesn't fall too far from the crab apple tree... :jol:
That's funny.....almost sounds like me. My daughter comes up with alot of ideas and this pumkin demon was one of them. Deranged nature creature is a good way to describe this prop. It's like a sureal living organic scarecrow....that feeds on wandering victoms that get too close......sucking them into his gullet to transform them into a living appendage of himself (this will all make sense when ya'll see the final prop. I swear!)

·
Stays Zesty in milk
4,471 Posts
Lookin' good!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.