Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, who else here has taken a stab at planting their own pumpkins this year? My plants are a few weeks old now and are doing well. The vines should start flowering pretty soon.

Anyone else doing this too?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been planting pumpkins for a few years now. My plants are lookin good, and should flower any day now.
I think the rest of my garden gets mad at how much time I spend on my pumpkins.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey krypt, I think your plants are developing powdery mildew. The grey splotches on the leaves look like powdery mildew. What time of day do you water them?

Also, you're at a key time in the fruit's development when slugs will start being drawn to your pumpkins. If at all possible, get some sand and lay out a ring of sand around each pumpkin to prevent slugs from being able to get to your fruit.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Those are spots from the rain and they come and go .... i have the slugs covered sand? .....Salt ever poured salt on a slug not a pretty sight.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are spots from the rain and they come and go .... i have the slugs covered sand? .....Salt ever poured salt on a slug not a pretty sight.
Good. It was hard to tell if it was grey splotches or just moisture. July/August is where the powdery mildew does start to rear its ugly head, so try and avoid watering near the evening. The moisture on the leaves overnight is a perfect breeding ground for fungus, which is what powdery mildew is.

There are also fungucides that help prevent it. Don't know if you're trying to go organic or not. I don't eat my pumpkins, so I have no issue with using fungucides. I always wind up with powdery mildew otherwise.

Another trick to avoid slugs is to place dishes of beer around the area. They're drawn to the beer, climb in the plate, get all drunk and can't get out and die. There's also "slug bait" on the market, but you need to till that into the soil, and from the looks of it yours are growing out over a lawn, so I bet that's not an option.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, you are all much further along that I am. I'm betting most of you will have August harvests. Mine -- provided they continue to do well -- will be a mid-to-late September harvest.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Yeah i believe it is from when it rains then 90 degree sun pops up and burn sun pots on em thats what it seem like anyway....I HOPE!

and im hoping for 2 weeks in oct for harvest time with the cold nights at first planting them and the 120 days it takes till harvest seems like it is gonna be right at oct....
Crossing fingerss!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ive planted pumpkins and they always turn out nice in october I don't plant large ones though just the small ones.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I planted three mounds of pumpkins (2 jack-o-lantern size and 1 small size) in early June and they have already taken over. About 1/2 dozen pumpkins have already started to grow and my flowers are in full bloom. I'm hoping for a better crop than I had last year.

·
Are you always like this?
3,290 Posts
I used to grow pumpkins in England. For the most part, I was pretty successful. The ground was quite fertile and my vines produced nice fruit.

I *seem* to remember that on a single vine, after the fruit start to grow, that all but one (maybe two) fruits will fall off, leaving just the one to grow to maturity. Perhaps this is only true of certain varieties, or perhaps I'm barmy and just didn't grow them correctly. But I do remember fruits falling off of my vines.

Either way, it was fun. I just thought I'd share that in case somebody else has had the same thing happen. :)

·
Banned
764 Posts
You guys watch out i lost two pumpkins and two vines to squash vine borers yesterday NASTY maggot looking things.....Its very dissapointing! ...NAAAAASTY THINGS!

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys watch out i lost two pumpkins and two vines to squash vine borers yesterday NASTY maggot looking things.....Its very dissapointing! ...NAAAAASTY THINGS!
I use insecticides to keep such bastards off of my plants. My first year I had this problem and it killed off all but one of my plants. Now, since I don't plan on eating them anyway, I use a spray of Sevin to keep pests off of my plants.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1st year and they are dead -my watermelon dont look good either--do you think its too late to plant more, i think there are some at k-mart
I wouldn't wait any longer. What's the worst that will happen? At this point, you don't have anything to harvest so taking another stab at it certainly isn't going to hurt.

Just curious, what killed them?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts