Haunt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pumpkin and corn plants are growing nicely. I just tilled the garden, so the weeds aren't too bad that I'd be embarassed to post a pic now. Here's my progress thus far:

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
How do your Pumpkin's do, Z? I tried it once, the vegetation was lush, I had some baby ones come on and then they rotted and died. Is there some type of secret to it? Let me in on it if there is, and yours have turned out fine.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The secret is this: Use an insecticide called "Diazinon" to prevent vine boring insects from killing the vine, and never water before dark. If you water before dark, the water collects on the leaves, and in the humid summer air this is the perfect medium for something called "Powdery Mildew" which is a white mildew that kills the leaves, and then the plant.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Thanks for the tip, dude. Looks like I'm too late this year. :( *sigh* Next year...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for the gardening tip. I'll remember that when we move from this state and to a state/area where I can grow lots of vegetables. I have more info in my garden book...it will be used someday soon!

·
Registered
74 Posts
The secret is this: Use an insecticide called "Diazinon" to prevent vine boring insects from killing the vine, and never water before dark. If you water before dark, the water collects on the leaves, and in the humid summer air this is the perfect medium for something called "Powdery Mildew" which is a white mildew that kills the leaves, and then the plant.
Thanks for the tip. Any tips on what to do once you get the powder mildew. I got the white powder fungus bad again this year (so bad my friends won't call or write anymore :rolleyes: ). I tried 1 part milk 9 parts water and that didn't work, just sprayed a fungicide today. Now that I know the water trick & diazinon it will help in the future, I'll just have to move my watermelons & make it all pumpkins. :zombie:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts