Haunt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been admiring Herb and I'm a little confused about the chain mail...did you make that yourself? If so, I'm REALLY impressed! If not, I'm still impressed...I love this prop :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
lol, I just searched for threads with my name and came across this old post I missed.

Anyway, the answer is that yes, I made the chainmail. :) It's all aluminum electric-fence wire that came on 1/4 mile spools. What you see pictured there is about 1/2 mile of wire (2 spools). I just recently started into a third spool to extend the length of it to make it hang to knee-length. It's not meant for the prop, it's for me actually. But Herb can wear it from time to time for this sort of thing. :)

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it! Sorry for responding nearly 2 years late! :)

(I come and go during the off seasons)

·
She looks so normal
21,274 Posts
You'll have to post a how to. I just can't figure out how that started out as electric-fence wire. Plus, I'd really like to see a picture of you in it. Great looking costume.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You'll have to post a how to. I just can't figure out how that started out as electric-fence wire. Plus, I'd really like to see a picture of you in it. Great looking costume.
The pics are the easy part:

http://ed.toton.org/weapons/aluminum-chainmail.html

Here's how the armor starts:

Basically, I coil the wire onto an aluminum rod that's stuck into a power-drill. Some people build rigs that hold the rod and drill in place and guide the wire in. I'm not so sophisticated. :) I just use a leather glove and guide the wire onto the rod by hand with one hand while the other operates the drill. Once the coils are made, I use 8" bolt-cutters to clip it into rings, which are then painstakingly linked one by one. The hauberk and coif together have about 1/2 mile of wire, which works out to about 25,000 links. It takes me 20-25 minutes to add a row to the hauberk (about 122 links) if they're already separated out and opened far enough that I can just quickly link them together. Bent-needle-nose pliers are your best friend for this part. :)

These pics above are from when I used to use an 18" rod. I do 3' at a time now.

·
Registered
979 Posts
wow. fantastic prop! What alot of work, I am very impressed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts