Haunt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just went to the first garage sale of the season and to my luck I found a chandelier, an old 3' mirror, and a candelabra... all for $20! Anyway I want to make all of these things look ridiculously awesome like the ones in the haunted mansion at disney world or terrorsyndicate. Any tips on how to corpse these things?

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
Do you mean aging rather than corpsing? How about using a web shooter to give the look of age?

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
I think the corpsing they are referring to is the skulls on the chandelier. The rest looks like webbing from a shooter.
Perhaps some pantyhose are used in the base webbing?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
That webbing doesn't all look shot, a lot of it looks like its just pull-apart apply-by-hand stuff. I know it just looks like cotton when you use that stuff fresh out of the bag, but in TS's pics it looks like it was stained and dusted. Get a bag of cobwebs and try staining it with diluted coffee or other stuff... if it doesnt take stain look for any yucky colored powder. Mixing baby powder with charcoal or graphite can give you a nice spectrum of grey, cocoa powder will add rusty brown tints, and if you go to an art supply shop you can get dry universal colors like yellows, greens, and whatever else. And if you can find some Fuller's Earth that stuff's pure magic for aging, rusting, distressing, dirtying, etc.

Sickie Ickie does stage work; I'm sure he's done a lot of aging and distressing.

Oh, and you can make web shooters fairly inexpensively if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You really want to purchase the Terror Syndicate DVD's. They show you step by step how to corpse a Bucky skeleton, pneumatics and just about anything else. They leave no steps out for you to follow, building and detailing right in front of you, so you know you'll end up with the same results. The chandelier was most likely brush painted with a base coat of latex and highlighting with at least one other color, also brushed on. The cob webbing is done just as you'd do when corpsing a bucky using strips of that stretch type of cob webbing from a bag. When dipped in latex, it's a perfect medium for this type of effect. Great project you're considering doing.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot guys! I'm going to go with Revenants suggestions first... I would buy the DVD but as of right now I'm not working on pneumatics and I've already corpsed buckys in pretty much every way possible. So Wish me luck!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Richie, you're right. I have a few of Steve's books and the chandelier is in one of them. Stretchy cobwebs and latex and then I'm pretty sure it's airbrushed. Aside from MM, that's all he pretty much uses is the webs. Amazing that he gets such great results with so little!

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
That webbing doesn't all look shot, a lot of it looks like its just pull-apart apply-by-hand stuff. I know it just looks like cotton when you use that stuff fresh out of the bag, but in TS's pics it looks like it was stained and dusted. Get a bag of cobwebs and try staining it with diluted coffee or other stuff... if it doesnt take stain look for any yucky colored powder. Mixing baby powder with charcoal or graphite can give you a nice spectrum of grey, cocoa powder will add rusty brown tints, and if you go to an art supply shop you can get dry universal colors like yellows, greens, and whatever else. And if you can find some Fuller's Earth that stuff's pure magic for aging, rusting, distressing, dirtying, etc.

Sickie Ickie does stage work; I'm sure he's done a lot of aging and distressing.

Oh, and you can make web shooters fairly inexpensively if you want to go that route.
The ol' tea dye or coffee dye trick does wonders! It doesn't stick to well to polyester webbing, but you'd be surprised what you can do by dying unrolled cotten balls and applying seperated strips of them here and there. When I finish with my hot glue experiements, I should be able to make brown, green or whatever colored webbing I want. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
another trick is to dip pieces of "distressed" cheese cloth in a can of grey latex paint. then lay it on top of whatever you want corpsed out. let dry then highlight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts