Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods: I searched, but couldn't find anything close to a thread like this, but if there is one out there please merge this one and mea culpa...

This is just a thread where those of us who are avid (or not so much) readers can share what selections they have been reading. Also feel free to comment about others' reading choices or ask about book titles you might want to check into.

I'll start off...

Just finished:
The Pale Blue Eye: A Novel by Louis Bayard
Excellent historical fiction. Features a young Edgar Allan Poe during his days as a West Point cadet. Poe accompanies a retired NYC detective on an investigation of the grisly mutilation of an apparent cadet suicide. Plenty of twists and turns in this plot…it kept me guessing right up until the end. Bayard provides an interesting character study into one of my favourite authors.

Just bought today:
A Fistful of Charms by Kim Harrison

Kim Harrison is my favourite new paranormal/fantasy author. This is the fourth installment in her Rachel Morgan series. Kim has created a totally believable world where "normal" people are now aware of their supernatural neighbours (vampires, witches, werewolves, etc…) thanks to a devastating virus that wiped out a large number of the human population. Rachel Morgan's (a witch) exploits as a bounty hunter with her vampire and pixie partners are suspenseful, sexy, and laugh-out-loud funny. I'll probably start and finish this one over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I've been starting and dropping books all over. I was reading Treasure for awhile but it kinda slowed down and the like so I let it go.

I am reading the Mothman Prophesys again and its a excilent book. Its about the goings on in point Pleasnet in 1967 when the Mothman was going around that area, its a great book.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I recently finished Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code, both by Dan Brown. I enjoyed the latter more, but both were quite good.

I also recently finished Dracula by Bram Stoker. What a snoozefest. Seriously, if he had just chopped out the middle of that book and made it a short story, it would have worked so much better. I can totally understand why ever movie version ever released strayed away from the original story.

I've just begun reading Stephen King's The Shining, which I've never read before. I'm about 40 pages in and so far it's typical King fare. Lots of character development and not much action. Most of his books are, but that's part of what makes them good. You really get to feel for the characters before the proverbial **** hits the fan.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just finished reading the latest in Kinley McGregor's dark hunters series. That series is pretty interesting. Adds a new twist to vampires.

·
Registered
149 Posts
In the past 6 months I have read Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz and the sequel Forever Odd. I've also been reading the whole Harry Potter series which I love. I'm almost done with the 5th one and getting the 6th one soon. I may be one of those people out at midnight when the 7th and final one comes out.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I havn't really got to read these two but I thought they were worth mention, I picked up a copy of the Omen and Rosmarys Baby... and if your looking for a good book I recomend JAWS highly, nothing like the movie and just as good.

·
A little bit bent...
3,232 Posts
Just finished "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card, and I plan to read the series.

Mrs M, I read an interview with Rowling the other day. She will definitely be killing off a couple of the main characters in the last book, possibly even Harry.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Otaku said:
Just finished "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card, and I plan to read the series.

Mrs M, I read an interview with Rowling the other day. She will definitely be killing off a couple of the main characters in the last book, possibly even Harry.
I know :( I read about that as well. She doesn't want it to have any way to continue, well the only way to do that is to kill Harry. He's my favorite character.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Otaku said:
That was a awsome book! The Ender series I couldn't really read but I did read and enjoy the seried Enders Shadow which was pretty much the same story from a difrrent charecters point of Veiw

·
Registered
797 Posts
My husband has been picking up lots of Edward Gorey books for me lately, because many of them are going out of print. Therefore, lots of Gorey reading for me! If any of you haven't heard of Gorey, I highly recommend him as both an illustrator and an author.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
just finished an H.P. Lovecraft compilation book. "Call of Chutulu and other wierd stories". Although none of the stories were all that scary, it did make for a good read.At the time they were writen I'm sure it was the cutting edge of the warped and morbid. I can see why he has such a cult following.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just finished:

Dead and Loving It by MaryJanice Davidson
Pure "brain candy". I read one the books in MaryJanice Davidson's "Undead and..." vampire series and thought it was pretty good (I got it for free, so what the heck). In this anthology of short stories, Davidson explores the hapless love-lives of the Wyndham werewolves. It was a quick read, didn't require much thought, tinged with humour, and was absolutely steeped in sex--almost too much so. If you're looking for steamy paranormal romance that doesn't require too much thought, this is a pretty good summer read. Great for the beach or taking on vacation.

Fistful of Charms by Kim Harrison
See my first post. This book was fantastic, just as expected. Can't wait for the next installment in the series.

Just started...
This Spectred Isle - A Journey Through Haunted England by Simon Marsden
A book of legends and true ghost stories from Britain. Simon Marsden's photography is beautiful and spooky.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just for fun I picked up "The Halloween Tree" by Ray Bradbury.

It was a great story. It was hard to follow at times as it jumped around and some of the language was hard to understand, but overall for any Halloween lover I reccomend

It is a classic... It wont take you more than a few hours to read

·
I'm bringing sexy back
7,767 Posts
I am in the middle of a book called "Haunted - One Family's Nightmare". The book has been out of print for some time by I purchased a copy of it on the internet. I always see the movie on tv and it's based on true facts about one family's problem with demons and paranoral activity when they move into their duplex in West Pittston, Pennsylvania. It's about the Smurl family and the demonologists, Ed and Lorraine Warren who have helped them cope with these forces. The Warrens also dealth with the house in the Amityville Horror. When I watch the movie, it only touches on a few experiences the Smurls had to deal with. When reading the book, I can't believe the **** this family had to endure with the entities. So far this book has been a great read and I only get to read it at night. I am 3/4 the way through.

I think I will have to read "The Amityville Horror" next because of the Warrens and their team to see what they experienced in that house.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Ah, the Warrens. I'll bite my tongue. :)

Anyways, I've gone through a couple of new hardcovers in the last month or so:

Star Wars Legacy of the Force : Betrayal, by Aaron Allston

Holy Terror by Richard Marcinko

1 - 20 of 55 Posts