Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Super Moderator
64,481 Posts
Not a novel per se, but the last horror book I read was a collection of short stories by H.P. Lovecraft. I'd seen him mentioned so often on this site that I picked up a copy I found at a Borders bookstore a while ago just to see what the fascination was all about. Made for a good read.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Vampire Wars: The Von Carstein Trilogy by Steven Savile. A great book about the rise & fall of the infamous Von Carstein vampires who terrorized the old world. There are a few spots in the 800 pages that get a little slow and mundane, but over all a good read in my opinion. Very good descriptive detail writing.

·
Super Moderator
64,481 Posts
Forgot another one - Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - and here's my review from another thread:

In general, I think Seth Grahame-Smith did a good job of incorporating the zombie elements into Austen's work. There were a couple times early on in the book when one or two zombie scenes seemed a little forced or awkward, but it improved after that. The attitudes of the characters to the "unmentionables" (as they are sometimes called) is somewhat unemotional in the sense that zombies are seen as a nuisance in the same way bugs can be a nuisance - they're there and you have to deal with them, but there's no "how horrifying" drama associated with it. Examples include a scene where people are killed at a party because they were too close to the windows when zombies attacked, or when some kitchen servants were killed - it's annoying but life goes on.

Since "Pride and Prejudice" in the original is my favorite of the Austen novels, I was particularly interested in how Grahame-Smith would make adjustments when, for example, he killed a character that played a role in the plot later in the novel. Again, I think he handled this well where it occurred.

There were a few laugh-out-loud moments (Darcy pops out with some off-color remarks that are unexpected if you are familiar with the original Austen character), but the funniest part of the whole book for me was the section of discussion questions at the end (remember those from high school English classes?).

·
Bible Thumping Doom Sayer
1,110 Posts
Right now...I am reading the "Monster Book of Zombies".
Bunch of short stories about the walking dead by various authors...mostly English authors...Edger Allen Poe, H.P.Lovecraft, Brian Lumley..ect.

·
Old Bat
2,795 Posts
Roxie, while I was looking for a copy of "Pride & Prejudice & Zombies" on Amazon, I noticed they had some other 'classic zombie' books too; notably "Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters" and "Huckleberry Finn and Zombie Jim". Do I see a trend here?

·
Super Moderator
64,481 Posts
Roxie, while I was looking for a copy of "Pride & Prejudice & Zombies" on Amazon, I noticed they had some other 'classic zombie' books too; notably "Sense & Sensibility & Sea Monsters" and "Huckleberry Finn and Zombie Jim". Do I see a trend here?
They must have seen the sales figures for "PP&Z":)

·
Master of Scaremonies
12,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We have a thread on SS&SM back here:

http://hauntforum.com/showthread.php?t=16790&highlight=sense

Right now I'm in the middle of "A History of Horrors: The Rise and Fall of the House of Hammer" by Denis Meikle.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Doc, I read that one last summer as well. I really dug it.
I didn't really "get" the whole ship thing, I mean if the embodiment of Percy was a china figurine, what's up with the boat? Where was the boat when Elizabeth Eastlake had the figure entombed in a leaking vessel under the stairs in her old house where she grew up in? Just "floating around"? Other than the fragmented connection between the ship and the china figurine, I really liked the story too. Too bad about Wireman though. I really liked his character. I gotta horrible itch to paint something...I'm not sure what, but I'm sure the shells under Big Pink will tell me.:D
Later, "muchacho"!

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Just finished S. King's "Everything's Eventual", a collection of short stories/novels including 1408 that was made into a movie. An excellent eclectic collection of stories, my favorite was "That feeling you can only say in French". It's a story about De'javu, a married couple who die in a plane crash and must re-live certain aspects of it over and over, a depiction of repetition being a form of Hell.

I also finished "The Everlasting" by Tim Lebbon. An interesting ghost story! I recommend it, it's a very different fantasy-based type of horror story.

I tend to read two books at the same time, (alternating, of course and yes it takes twice as long to finish), as I have a short attention span. Kind of like channel surfing only with books..lol!

Up next for me is Dean Koontz' "Frankenstein" novels. These should be interesting.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Up next for me is Dean Koontz' "Frankenstein" novels. These should be interesting.
They are interesting and I'm really enjoying the new twist that koontz puts into the story of Dr. Frankensein & his monster (or in this case monsters). Will finish 2nd book tonight & look forward to starting 3rd book tomorrow night!

·
Registered
9,530 Posts
I just finished Under the Dome by Stephen King. I must say it is definitely one of his best stories ever. It starts off quickly and keeps the pace all the way through. I recently finished Just After Sunset, a collection of King short stories. I was very disappointed in this collection. It's a good thing the stories were short, there was very little substance to keep your attention.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts