Haunt Forum banner
81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
His movies have become icons, like Barker, Craven, etc.
Are you thinking of the IT miniseries, maybe? Probably Carrie, right? And the Shining.

From what I recall, both King's and Koontz's books generally get badly mishandled by the movie people.

·
I'm bringing sexy back
7,790 Posts
Stephen King's "The Shining". I have to admit that I liked Stanley Kulbrick's version of the book. The Shining was remade and matched the book more than Kulbrick's adaptation, but I like Kulbrick's version better than the book. It had more of a creepiness to it and, of course, Jack Nicholson playing the character of Jack Torrance.

·
IN MEMORIAM - A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,629 Posts
Odd Thomas is a great series of books from Dean Koontz. Get them all. Similar themes are in Seize the Night. Koontz's take on Frankenstein is pretty amazing, IMO. The two most recent Dean Koontz books I have read that are more horror themed are "What the Night Knows", which is a very unusual ghost story, and "77 Shadow Street", which has some crazy "ghosts" and monsters in it. I liked them both very much.
:jol: I totally agree! Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas series is really remarkable. I love the characters and they are easy to relate to. I read What the Night Knows also, and it is an unsettling book that reminds me somewhat of the movie Fallen. I will have to read 77 Shadow Street, Koontz along with King are two of the best horror writers out there. Still the biggest fan ever of Ray Bradbury. He captures Halloween more perfectly than any other writer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Read "Dark Delicacies 2: Fear", an anthology last season. Perty good.

Right now, I'm reading a history of rabies via "Rabid" and its effects on pop culture. VERY interesting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Great Works of Horror by H. P. Lovecraft.

Honestly, given how popular Lovecraft seems to be, I think I expected better. Maybe it was the old-fashioned style of writing that dwelt too long on descriptions of the scenery, or the feeling that I was reading the same story over and over again, each one stretched longer than necessary.

I did enjoy a handful of the stories, though. The Colors out of Space, In the Vault, Herbert West: Reanimator, just to name a few.

·
Official HF Jerk v1.0
3,069 Posts
I just finished a book called Dracula-The Undead, by Dacre Stoker and Ian Holt. It has some of the same characters as Bram Stoker's original novel, only 25 years later. They all have different problems (Jonathan's a drunk, Seward is addicted to opium, Mina still desires Dracula, etc.)

Anyway, the story revolves around Quincey Harker, the son of Mina and Jonathan. He becomes entangled in the investigation of a series of murders that resemble the Ripper murders of August-November 1888. (This story is set in March-April 1912) He also starts to learn about his parent's past.

I'm going to leave the book report there, as I don't want to give away too much. I personally loved the book, but as I am a fan of Victorian fiction and REAL vampire stories (No twilight) I may be slightly biased.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pet Sematary and The Shining, both of which were fantastic. Also, Anna Dressed in Blood (paranormal romance that's nothing like Twilight, it actually focuses on horror), Haunted Legends (an anthology, meh, some selections good and others not), and Kwaidan (a collection of Japanese folktales about ghosts and demons). Finally, Children of the Night by Dan Simmons. Started out really good, but halfway through it seemed to switch genres from horror to something else far less interesting.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I just finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and I have to say it was a great book. The author incorporated a lot of old turn-of-the-last-century black and white photos and made a great story around them. It's a little sci-fi and a little horror put together but it is very well written in my opinion. The author's name is Ransom Riggs.

·
Slowly Losing My Mind
2,810 Posts
I don't really like reading novels because they bore me. However, my sister in law gave me a couple books written by Jason and Grant from Ghost Hunters. I started reading one of them. It'll take me months at my current rate

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Kauldron, I read that and I enjoyed it. I thought it ended in such a way that a sequel would be possible!
The sequel is supposed to be released this fall, and I believe the author said it is going to be called Hollow City. I hope it turns out to be just as good. Also, not too long ago I read the story of Steven LaChance called "The Uninvited" which is his account of the haunted house that he moved into with his children. It was pretty good too. I think they did an episode of The Haunting on this story. Maybe check that out too.

81 - 100 of 133 Posts