Haunt Forum banner
121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are several books that I reread each Halloween season to get into the mood of the holiday.

THE RETURN OF THE WOLFMAN by Jeff Rovin - This novel is a continuation of the classic Universal horror film series. It opens in the ending minutes of the film Abbot &Costello Meet Frankenstein but segues into a straight horror story that is leavened with a ton of "in-jokes" for the fan of monster films of the 40s and 50s.

HORROR by Drake Douglas (pseud.) - An overview of the archtypical monsters such as the vampire, the werewolf, the mummy, Frankenstein's Monster, the zombie, and the hunchback. Each character has a chapter in which the author examines the folklore, the literature, and the film appearances. There are also biographical chapters on the authors Edgar Allen Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, Arthur Machen and Robert L. Stevensen.

COLLECTED GHOST STORIES OF M. R. JAMES - Montague Rhodes James did not write stories full of gore and violence, yet his ghosts are never the stately, ethereal spectres of "quiet" ghost stories. They are usually physically powerful elementals driven by hatred or greed to wreak havoc upon the lives of the often scholarly and sheltered humans unlucky enough to incur the wrath of these unquiet dead. The stories are sedate but very, very nasty.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

Okay ... this is an "Illustrated Adventures" series. That means it's a paperback comicbook. These kids meet up each Halloween, and they're a little messed up. In fact, the whole town is messed up. There's an apocalypse going on, and the littlest one is obsessed with pulling peoples teeth and cabbage poots ... I read them every Halloween, just for the bizarre factor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just finished "The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires" by Grady Hendrix. Really enjoyed it, finishing in two sittings. Super fun read, and an appropriately gruesome ending. Think Designing Women (TV show from the 90's) meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Highly recommended!

Currently starting "John Dies at the End", only because I want to read the sequel "This Book Is Full of Spiders".

·
Registered
67 Posts
The Turn of the Screw - Henry James. I've read it before, but James used so many dam words, it takes some concentration to get what he's saying. Tough, sometimes, because I read before going to sleep at night, and if I nod off, it takes some effort to find my place again. I imagine he must have been paid by the word.

121 - 133 of 133 Posts