Haunt Forum banner

Recently Watched Horror Films

363K views 4K replies 331 participants last post by  RoxyBlue 
#1 ·
I noticed this forum didn't have one of these so I thought 'why not add one' ;)

So what are the most recent horror films you've seen?

#4 ·
You really want to know? I'm in the midst of my "horror re-education project". Here's what I've watched in the last 5 or 6 weeks or so:

* "A Nightmare on Elm Street"/Freddy (all 7)

* "An American Werewolf in London"

* "Dawn of the Dead" (2004)

* "Day of the Dead" (1985)

* "Friday the 13th"/Jason (1-8)

* "Halloween" (all 8)

* "Hellraiser" (1-2)

* "I Know What You Did Last Summer" (both)

* "Night of the Living Dead" (original)

* "Phantasm" (first)

* "Rosemary's Baby"

* "Saw" (both)

* "Scary Movie" (1) :)

* "Scream" (all 3)

* "Stigmata"

* "The Blair Witch Project" (both)

* "The Dead Zone"

* "The Fog" (1980, 2005)

* "The Ninth Gate"

* "The Prophecy" (all 3)

* "The Ring" (both)

* "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre" (1974 version)

* "The Thing"

It totals over 50 movies. I think the local blockbuster probably thinks I'm nuts. :)

#6 ·
I am sorry but this genre of film, especially the contemporary "Hack and Slashers", I have never enjoyed: Something about excessive gratuitous violence that makes them intellectually insulting... although I did enjoy "The Shinning", the original "Exorcist", and I do enjoy the old Hollywood classic horror films such as the Mummy, Dracula, Frankenstein, etc.

However, I must confess that back in the 70's we would get wasted and go watch the midnight presentation of the "Night of the Living Dead" on a regular bases. And there is one horror film that haunted my dreams for the longest time and that was the "House of Dark Shadows".

#7 ·
Spooky dude, did you like the first or the second "the Shining"

I am a lover of the Jack Nicholson version the best. The second one followed the book a bit more but I thought it was freekin stupid.

The first one was amazing when it stands on its own, same with all of Stephen King movies, they cannot compare to the books but if you let them stand alone, they are pretty good. (Shawhank is another one and Sometimes they come back)

Whats your take on this?

#9 ·
SpookyDude, I agree totally. In this horror-onslaught I've put myself under, I've mostly been watching the slashers just to have seen them. I do find them repetative, and formulaic. I'm getting surprised occasionally by other films though, such as Saw. The remake of Dawn of the Dead was better than I expected. However I found the remake of The Fog to be somewhat disappointing.

Currently I'm working my way through the Hellraiser series, and trying to grab a few more werewolf and zombie movies.

I've been putting off The Excorcist and The Shining, since I've seen them more recently than most of the other stuff (much of which I had never seen).

#15 ·
Cigarette Burns from the Carpenter entry of Masters of Horror. It's only an hour long and well worth the sixty seconds if you like Carpenter and want something different. Definitely his darkest work. I am in complete awe of the man.

#17 ·
heresjohnny said:
The new version of texas chainsaw massacre. I didn't like this one very much.
The new or old version? I hated both of them. The second was saved only by the presence of R. Lee Ermy and Jessica Biel in those tight ass jeans. Other than that they both pretty much sucked. I have never understood the snake fascination that Horror fans have had for that annoying film, the original one that is.

Thank god there's an individual of like mind around and I'm not the only one. :D You rock, HJ!

#18 ·
Sinister said:
The new or old version? I hated both of them. The second was saved only by the presence of R. Lee Ermy and Jessica Biel in those tight ass jeans. Other than that they both pretty much sucked. I have never understood the snake fascination that Horror fans have had for that annoying film, the original one that is.

Thank god there's an individual of like mind around and I'm not the only one. :D You rock, HJ!
Thanks Sinister! I was referring to the new version, and Jessica Biel made the movie worth watching through to the end. Never saw the original.

#21 · (Edited)
Went to Pirates today with the family, it's long and of course not horror but the sets/scenes were great however...

they played the trailer for The Descent. It's coming to US theaters on August 4th (http://www.thedescentfilm.com/)...

I know Sinister has seen this, as have I, but I don't want discuss it yet...

I just want everyone to go see this one so we can post comments!

#22 ·
Trust me, you owe it to yourselves to see this when it comes out. Although I own it, I'm seriously considering going to see this on the big screen. I, like Scary, am not going to fully discuss this until more of you have checked it out. I sing Neil Marshall's praises and after you view this, you'll know why. One of the best Horror films to come out in sometime; forget High Tension, The Descent is the real deal. :xbones:

#25 ·
Frighteners Entertainment said:
Watching John Carpenter's Vampires right now.
Good one! My favorite James Woods role. I like when there's a movie where the line between who and what's worse is hazy. Jack Crow's slayers were almost every bit as bad as vampires were. Clooney and gang were worse than that in From Dusk Till Dawn. The last would be a perfect companion piece to Carpenter's Vampires. Might have to watch the both of them together one of these days. Now that Jeff has put that Texas Toad Lickers theme from the movie in my head by his mentioning of the film, I might have to instigate that plan today. :googly:

#26 ·
trishaanne said:
1. House of wax-original
2. House of wax-remake---STUPID!!!!
3. Phantasm
4. The Mummy-original
I am so happy to hear another person out there hated the House of Wax remake as much as I did. What the hell was up with that. Why oh Why did they call it the House of Wax when it resembled NOTHING of the first one with Vincent Price????? WHY??????

There were some creapy parts, but for me, if they would have named it something else I would have watched it with a different mentality. But i didnt and it sucked donkey butt!!!

AAAhhh I get so frustrated about certain things, thats one of them (and the 30 secs between each post used to be the other one LOL)