Haunt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of late, I've had a lot of new registrations where the registrant didn't properly enter their birthdate in the first step resulting in a lot of registrations that are of the COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act) variety. COPPA is a set of laws that are set up to prohibit web sites from collecting information from users under the age of 13.

http://www.coppa.org

Lately, because of the incorrect data input at the first step, we've had a lot of adults who were unable to complete registration because they wound up registered as COPPA users.

To combat this, I've turned off registrations for users under the age of 13. Now, incorrect data (or correct data in the event of an under 13 user) input at the first step will result in an error message to the registrant telling them they can not register. Adults should just click back and re-do their birthdate so they have a year input into the year box.

Your birthdate is HIDDEN unless you specify you would like it to be displayed publicly. This setting appears at a later step in the registration process, so you CAN input your birthdate in this first step with no worries that your full birthday will be publicly displayed.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As a follow up to this...

I forgot way back when I banned a former member, I turned on the "moderate new members" function and THAT'S why new members were getting stuffed into the COPPA category. I just approved all those members tonight and turned that feature back off.

My apologies to any new members that registered and were not able to post. That was completely my fault. :(

Anyway, welcome aboard and say "hi" in the Welcome Room. :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts