Haunt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am researching a way to spring a release latch from a distance with a fob like a car clicker.
So far I have found this kit. 200 ft range. It is only $30.00 including shipping

on ebay.

It runs on the 12 volt car system.

I need to know if it can be run from a 12 volt battery pack like this.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
It could be run off AA batteries, although I'm not sure how long they would last - current draw isn't listed in the specs. A 12 volt wall wart would work, & you wouldn't have to borry about battery life. If you need to run it off batteries, you might want to try 8 D cells instead.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The battery holder you show should work, but you might be changing batteries fairly often. 2 of these holders in series (black lead of one connected to the red lead of the other) would last significantly longer.

You may be fine with the AA batteries - I don't think the receiver would draw that much current, and the lock motors are only run for a short time each time. There aren't any specifications on the ebay page though, so there's no way to know for sure.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This may work. I'm still looking for a bigger 12v battery with charger for about 15.00

·
Registered
460 Posts
You might be surprised to find out how much current those lock actuators draw.
Usually from 2 to 10 amps each for short durations. At 1300 mah (milliamp hours) you'd be looking at about a half hour or less. You could try a sealed lead acid (alarm or battery backup type) battery. They come cheap and can supply 8 amp hours or more. A $10 trickle charger from Harbor Freight is all you need to charge it back up.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been looking at the sealed lead acid batteries. They look promising. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
460 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Can you not use an old car battery?
I do for some things, then charge up the next day before using again.

If not, I'd recommend D cells - they have much greater mAh capacity.
I'd be a little cautious of the NiMH or Lithium types - they may not be happy running short time period high current loads.

Another option is R/C car racing battery packs, these are designed for such loads - but I guess may not be that cheap (never used them, so have no idea - sorry)

Si

1 - 10 of 10 Posts