Haunt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we get a forum to discuss scares/props that are specific to themes or rooms?
yes, I think thats a good idea too. I usually have the same rooms ,but try to change the location in my haunt and try different actors, but i need more!

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
Just create a thread for each theme you want to discuss.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Just create a thread for each theme you want to discuss.
Sure that would work for a current discussion and you could probably find it later using search, but what about new haunters that really aren't sure what they want to do or even seasoned haunters wanting to re-theme?

A separete forum for themes/rooms/scares could turn into virtual mall for anyone wanting to go window shopping for there new haunt.

If that's to vague how about one for scare tactics, not just props, but to discuss the scene how it's setup. What worked and what didn't.

I had several rooms in my haunt this year that had a lot going on in them and its the combination of props, sounds, lighting, actors, scares etc... that made them work.

If this is still a no if we get a theme(s) thread going that ends up with a lot of valuable informaiton can we get it/them sticky'd?

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
I've pulled these posts into their own thread since we were getting off topic and the discussion was in the wrong forum.

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
Sure that would work for a current discussion and you could probably find it later using search, but what about new haunters that really aren't sure what they want to do or even seasoned haunters wanting to re-theme?
From what I have observed, new users rarely use the search function and they create a new thread anyway.

A separete forum for themes/rooms/scares could turn into virtual mall for anyone wanting to go window shopping for there new haunt.
The "Haunt Tactics and Techniques" forum is for discussing haunting techniques and your proposed forum fits that category. I can see the usefulness of a sub forum for themes but only if the area got a lot of traffic. These changes would ultimately be Zombie-F's call as he owns the board.

If that's to vague how about one for scare tactics, not just props, but to discuss the scene how it's setup. What worked and what didn't.

I had several rooms in my haunt this year that had a lot going on in them and its the combination of props, sounds, lighting, actors, scares etc... that made them work.
The "Haunt Tactics and Techniques" forum is meant for those discussions.

If this is still a no if we get a theme(s) thread going that ends up with a lot of valuable informaiton can we get it/them sticky'd?
That sort of information is worthy of a sticky :D

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
The thread would be merged with the other theme topic otherwise you have a messy forum with discussions spread over multiple threads.
As long as the new thread added to the theme discussion I'd think we would want to merge it with the discussion.

From a moderators stand point I'd think it would make things easier to keep these types of discussions on target and not have multiple threads develop over time about a theme idea.

Over the past couple of years I've seen the Carn-Evil, nursery, pirate, etc... themes discussed over and over. I think if we had a sub-forum for themes we could append to ongoing conversations instead of re-creating them.

Sure I can search for "pirate theme" and get 4 pages of results and read through them, but as Haunti stated new users don't typically search. They just start a new thread. I've done it and I'm sure some of you have as well.

I think if there was a sub forum for themes it would give people a starting point (and maybe I'm being to optimistic) other than starting a thread for their "NEW" haunt idea.

If the answer is no that's ok. It's not my show, just an idea I had that I thought would improve it. :smoking:

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Here's my issue with it. The more specific you start to make the forums, the more forums there will be, which makes navigation more difficult. As of right now I'm comfortable with the total number of forums we have.

This particular topic does fit into the Haunt Tactics and Techniques forum and as Haunti stated, a quick search can yield tons of information.

A lot of the time when people are looking to start a thread about a particular theme, they will want their own thread for it as it pertains to their particular situation. For us to start a forum with a number of theme-specific discussions that all theme-specific discussions get placed into could possibly deter a person from posting their question. Their info or request could get lost in a sea of other posts to those threads.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Here's my issue with it. The more specific you start to make the forums, the more forums there will be, which makes navigation more difficult. As of right now I'm comfortable with the total number of forums we have.

This particular topic does fit into the Haunt Tactics and Techniques forum and as Haunti stated, a quick search can yield tons of information.

A lot of the time when people are looking to start a thread about a particular theme, they will want their own thread for it as it pertains to their particular situation. For us to start a forum with a number of theme-specific discussions that all theme-specific discussions get placed into could possibly deter a person from posting their question. Their info or request could get lost in a sea of other posts to those threads.
Fair enough...

Let me you ask you this. If we compile quite a few ideas into one thread that are specific to a theme and we do this for several themes, can we get a sticky post with links to the various Theme threads in the Haunt Tactics and Techniques thread?

Example:
We have a brainstorming thread for a pirate theme, one for an asylum theme, one for a carn-evil theme, one for a haunted mansion theme, and so on. Could we have a sticky with links to the various threads?

·
Evil, Wicked, Mean, Nasty
2,236 Posts
I don't necessarily agree or disagree. (I have requested theme rooms before.)

Here's the problem...I'll bet most of the haunters who review this site and others on a consistant basis, also have folders they've stored locally to try to organize. I see things that interest me, so I store off a few of the images and sometimes note who did it so I can try to find it later among my local folders. (That gallery of "locals" no longer fits on a normal thumbdrive.)

Searching is not quite as easy as you make it sound sometimes. Tags do not always relate to themes. I'll bet most of them don't. Maybe there a way to provide us with a theme tag that is separate from keyword tags? When I post something that relates to pirates, zombies, asylum, etc...I can tag it with theme names instead of the more generic keywords.

The tags as they exist provide limited capability. Especially if it isn't common practice to put a theme in the keywords. Example - I create a thread about controllers. The keywords would be more in line with controller, wiring, connections, audio, etc. After a few keywords, the tag list is full. I might also like to provide a search where a theme might be as appropriate as a keyword. When searching - find all threads related to witch themes, ...or operating rooms, frankenstein, mad scientist. In this case, the theme keywords are different then searching something like "UV", "glow".

Heck...what do I know? I'm a newb.

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
That is a possibility.

We also have the ability to add tags to threads which would help in forum searching.

·
Stays Zesty in milk
4,472 Posts
As someone who is new to the forum, and severely lagging in computer skills, anything that makes things easier would be a good thing. So far, I have been browsing the vast depths of this site on a variety of subjects. I have found many answers to questions I didn't know I had. I'm not afraid to ask questions, but do not wish to be the 500th person to ask about some trick, effect, or technique that has already been answered 499 times. There is no stupid question in my opinion, but it can be annoying to answer the same one over and over again. I think theme tagging that DarkLore spoke of could help someone like me out. But, I have very little computer skill, and am still figuring out many things about the site most may consider routine.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
At the bottom of every page of every thread is a box labeled "Tags". It's right above the quick reply box.

On the far right of that box is an "Edit Tags" link whereby anyone can add a tag to the thread to help in searching.

I'm starting to see the other side of this discussion now. Tagging is a solution, but I think it may be more complicated than just having a forum for theme discussions. I have to mull over this a little more before I come to a decision.

·
2,236 Posts
Zombie-F - the first issue with tags, is that most posts don't have tags that are meaningful to a theme. And most users wouldn't understand how to appropriately tag their threads if the same tag edits were used for generic keywords as well as themes.

I rarely use searching to find things on a topic....because the resultset is too broad. I use it when I lost track of a recent conversation.

I also wouldn't want folks posting twenty different tags just so their thread pops up under every known theme. In my opinion - the idea is to gather prop threads that were created almost specifically for a theme idea. (Pirates treasure chests - see Pirate Theme.) I don't want to see an encyclopedia of search results come back either.

Another problem - the tags are limited to five. Look at my stickied thread in Tech Terror. It discusses controllers, lights, pneumatics, wiring, switches, etc. If it were meant to be used for a specific theme (which it isn't), I couldn't add the theme tag because five is the limit on tags.

·
2,236 Posts
Just throwing out another idea - not stating whether its a good one or not. In fact, it's probably not worth the effort it would take to code it.

It might be helpful if we could associate our own tags to a thread. A while back I tried keeping track of categories through browser favorites. That got out of hand real quick.

Maybe after a certain level of real participation on the forum (non-games), a user could hold a limited number of favorites. Or tag a number of threads as part of a theme. What-ever wouldn't bog down the storage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts