Haunt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I already have this year's haunt (Harkness Cemetery) under construction, I've been trying to think of something to add for next year. I was thinking of trying to recreate the Riddle Family Tomb from Harry Potter. It will combine monster mud, foam, carving, etc...especially the wings (only part that makes me nervous). I was wondering if anyone had already done this, and if so, had tips, pics, etc. This is our first year doing a big Halloween, and I have to say, I'm loving it!!! Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you can pull this off, I want to see progress pics of your build. You have quite a task ahead of you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you can pull this off, I want to see progress pics of your build. You have quite a task ahead of you.
Don't worry, I have a feeling there will be plenty progress pics and how-to information. Honestly, if you break it down into 3 pieces (Wings, Tomb, Figure) it seems much more manageable. The wings are honestly the only piece that has me concerned. Build the tomb. Build the figure on the tomb, add the wings.

·
Super Moderator
64,259 Posts
I made a winged angel monument last year as part of a theater production. The wings were definitely the biggest challenge. I thought about creating a framework with chicken wire, but ended up using heavy cardboard as the base and built them up with a layer of foam and monster mud. You can see some of the details in the video.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Something you might consider, HDU (High Density Urethane) foam.
This is used in the sign industry because it can be carved, sanded, glued up, painted and finished like wood.
It comes in a wide variety of densities/weights, which you can mix to get the desired results in size and weight. It comes in lots of different thickness's, and doesn't rot. You could mix the use of it with other media (materials) to get your desired results.
I'd be tempted to have a rigid spine in your statue, maybe using rebar or steel channel so that you have a sturdy way to mount the wings.

Part my my questions would be how this would be seen (lighting, distance from the viewer, etc.), and what kind of weather you see this facing when it's on display. Because of the basic design of that monument I'd be tempted to be able to have the wings removable, this makes it easier to. store and move, and it gives you the option to display the monument without the wings for a different look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts