Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dead are rising again.

The Hollywood Reporter writes that horror maven George A. Romero has signed on to write and direct "George A. Romero's Diary of the Dead," the latest sequel to his 1968 cult classic "Night of the Living Dead."

With a story mixing elements of "The Blair Witch Project" and the long-running "Dead" series, the film will follow a group of college students shooting a horror movie in the woods who stumble upon a real zombie uprising. When the onslaught begins, they seize the moment as any good film students would, capturing the undead in a "cinema verite" style that causes more than the usual production headaches.

After going more than two decades without making an independently financed zombie film, Romero told his production partner Peter Grunwald he was frustrated working within the system. "I was trying to convince Peter we could just run off and do it ourselves," he said.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It certainly has an interesting premise, lets just see if Romero can keep away from the social commentaries that seem to over-innundate his films and make an entertaining Horror movie. IMHO he has made two great ones, a pretty good one and the rest are just pure dreck. Please no more "intelligent zombie" crap! When I go to see a Horror film I don't want to be told things I already know too well when it comes to race issues, unfainess to gender and the rich upper class versus the lower class poor. I want to be entertained. That doesn't mean I want to check my head at the door, but I don't want some film makers personal agendas shoved down my throat the second the house goes dark and the screen lights up either.

·
I'm bringing sexy back
7,769 Posts
How many films has Romero directed. I know he is behind the screenplays. Just curious.

·
I'm bringing sexy back
7,769 Posts
Thanx Sinister - I did like "Land of the Dead" and yes I agree with you on the "Intellegent Zombie" thing, but of course, with the thirst for live flesh will make any zombie try to outwit its prey.

I'm also for leaving the race issue at the door. I do believe that this factor has even crept into the horror movies and also being politically correct is way overused.

·
I'm bringing sexy back
7,769 Posts
Just meaning how many people of different origin would get killed in the movie. Scary Movie 2 was one that made fun of the issue with one part of the movie were they were split up into groups thus leaving the colored people in a group on their own and stating that it always happens in a movie (for example).

·
Banned
764 Posts
Im having a hard time beliving always

13 ghost
The thing
dawn of the dead the remake
house on haunted hill
nightmare on elm street 3
the last two halloween's if memory serves correct

all had survivors of race. In my honest opinion i think thats a myth.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Though I found nothing offensive about Doc's post, I will leave it deleted unless he specifies otherwise.

As for your race issue question, Krypt...ah, forget it. I don't know how to explain it to where you would grasp what I was saying and not take some sort of offense. Weiner's explanation though not my own take on the issue, will do for now. :D

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay. In Romero's zombie films with the exception of 1968's Night of the Living Dead, the African American leads in Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead survived. It is a well known fact that Romero's films in this regard are all platforms for his political views. In the first film, he was trying to show just how racist white folks of the period were. It is argued in many circles to this day that the ******** who shot Ben in the final moment of "Night" knew he was alive, but saw it as an opportunity to kill a black man and get away with it under the pretense he was one of the undead ghouls. Who would know the difference and question it? I don't believe the hicks really knew that, not at the angle where they were firing from. People have to be politically correct in this dark age we live in about everything, even in films. Everyone is so frightened of being labelled a racist that they can't think outside the box. Anytime someone tries to make a statement in a film that's meant to be sold off as entertainment usually fail miserably. George Romero is no exception. Just check out the numbers for almost his entire film career. They speak for themselves.

Romero in my honest opinion tries too hard to prove he's not a racist that he will do so at the expense of making a half way decent film. Dawn of the Dead was his last one and that was almost 30 years ago. Forget the social issues this time around George and just make a movie that people can enjoy and not nod off to. He needs to go back and check out Dawn 2004, if he wants to really see how entertaining a zombie film can be without being stuck in one gear by trying to prove a point.

·
Master of Scaremonies
12,932 Posts
Land was ok in my opinion and I live and die by Romero, and this approach seems fresh somewhat. Just last night my friend and I were discussing what could possibly be done that's new with zombies. I'm not sure this is it, but I'm hoping it does something fresh.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have some zombie ideas that i'm not going to discuss here because with my chosen profession looming on the horizon. I may need to utilize those very ideas into something more; that being said, I wonder how much of the "Independently financed Horror film" was GAR's idea, and how much of the decision was directly influenced that no major studio would touch him after that Land of the Dead fiasco? After that flop it is small wonder Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead redux got a sizable budget and he didn't.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
George didn't get a large sum of cash because he's a questionable risk where it concerns box office bucks. He has yet to have a film that can be termed a commercial success. I strongly suspect like I said his independent financing is all a direct result of Land of the Dead having such a poor showing theaters.

·
Banned
764 Posts
Zack Snyder doesnt exactly have a huge repitoire compared to GAR. Why would they consider him high risk yeah he made some turds, but i think they all do at some point right? I would think Snyder would be higher risk not as much experience.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The end result speaks for itself. I have viewed both Snyder's DOTD and Romero's numerous times and can say without reservation that Snyder's is the superior effort. Land of the Dead doesn't even begin to compare to either film. People may bitch and whine that George's lack of budget had something to do with all of it (And they have on other boards I have been on) I say that is a load of bull****. You can have all the money in the world to pretty things up all you want, but a piece of crap is just that. Prime examples of this analogy are big budget schlockfests like Battlefield Earth and Van Helsing. Without substance, it will all fold like a cardboard box in a hurricane.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts