Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
64,110 Posts
I hope this doesn't become a trend ... don't lawmakers have more important things to do? :mad:

Lawmaker Wants to Move Halloween to a Saturday

Maybe they are related to the board members of my stupid HOA? :googly:
Apaprently this man is not aware that restaurants see a drop in business when Halloween falls on a weekend, so the "better for the economy" argument is, to put it delicately, a load of crap. And how does moving the holiday create jobs?

As for the candy-stuffed kids, that is almost entirely within the control of parents, except for what a kid might eat while going door to door, so I don't buy that, either. Starting earlier is also a problem. Aside from haunts looking better after the sun goes down, who wants ToTs showing up at the door while you're eating dinner?

Leave the holiday alone, I say.

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
Apaprently this man is not aware that restaurants see a drop in business when Halloween falls on a weekend, so the "better for the economy" argument is, to put it delicately, a load of crap. And how does moving the holiday create jobs?
Buzz words baby.

·
Super Moderator
64,110 Posts
You got that right, Haunti.

People who mindlessly use buzzwords should automatically be turned into flying insects and released into a room full of those sticky rolls of flypaper:eek::googly: Anyone remember those? My grandmother used to use them in her kitchen. Pretty nasty looking once they got filled with flies, and even worse to run into when walking through the kitchen at night and not paying attention to what was hanging down in your pathway.

·
Batty Beautiful
5,633 Posts
I hope this doesn't become a trend ... don't lawmakers have more important things to do? :mad:

Lawmaker Wants to Move Halloween to a Saturday

Maybe they are related to the board members of my stupid HOA? :googly:
what a hoser!

Wrapping the exposed area with electrical tape (you can find that at any hardware store or Home Depot/Lowes) might work.
thanks roxy! I'll give it a shot!

As for the candy-stuffed kids, that is almost entirely within the control of parents, except for what a kid might eat while going door to door, so I don't buy that, either. Starting earlier is also a problem. Aside from haunts looking better after the sun goes down, who wants ToTs showing up at the door while you're eating dinner?

Leave the holiday alone, I say.
candy stuffed kids? seriously? its called 'let the parents handle it.'

and the only way they'll be 'stuffed' is if the parents don't give a damn and let them have all they want. most parents i know, (including mine) will regulate and ration the candy....that a bunch of bull! Somebody should create a law stating that american holidays should be left alone! you don't see them messing with Christmas or Easter do ya!:mad:

·
Registered
756 Posts

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
I combined the two threads since they were being discussed in different parts of the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thats ridiculous! Next they'll be moving Christmas to the Last Sunday, so that they dont have to give us Christmas EVe off early from work...

·
Director of Ambiance
1,816 Posts
I hate to say it (am rather AFRAID to say it actually) but I wish it could happen. Our best haunt nights are when Halloween falls on a Friday or Saturday - trick or treaters showing up til midnight, more friends and family come over to hang out - its just a party in our yard. Last year, the older family members practically have to go home at sundown, and all trick or treating was over by 830.

I understand the argument, and understand the purists - but from a F U N standpoint, I'm all for it!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
i am in the middle about this as well, though i remember when i was younger and halloween would fall on a sunday, they thought it was satanic and alot did it on saturday, then the true people would do it on sunday, giving us hardcore kids 2 halloweens, though to kill my opening line, it is super exciting when it falls on a weekend, so to me the wait is worth it.

·
The Red Death
2,258 Posts
I dunno. I'm sitting on the fence with Dixie on this one. The traditionalist in me wants to keep it 10/31. But the haunter in me loves the idea of it being the last Saturday of October. There are so MANY great perks to having Halloween on a Saturday - parties, later trick-or-treating, better turn out, etc. But on that same note, like funhousewizard said, it also makes the long stretch between Saturday Halloweens worth the wait. But ya know what, if we can add a stipulation that merchants can't push Christmas stuff until after Halloween, I say go for it.

We make our own traditions and sometimes, like life, traditions change. At this point most of the "original" meaning behind Halloween has already been diluted over time. We could turn this around and make something entirely new. Perhaps merge it with Ghoul Friday's Misgiving's Day. Move our Secret Reaper gift opening day to the new Halloween. Throw in a little Great Pumpkin myth. And viola a whole new tradition.

In all seriousness though the timing is just bad. There are too many things going on in this country and in Connecticut right now (Malloy just introduced a whole crap load of tax hikes) to be worrying about which day Halloween is celebrated or observed on.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Oddly enough, our best turnouts are on weeknight Hallowe'ens. And the TOTs are out later, too. When we had Friday and Saturday nights recently, we didn't get as many kids and everyone was off the streets by 9:00. Go figure.
But change the date? No, sorry, Hallowe'en is the 31st.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
HA ... my wonderful HOA moved Easter to the weekend AFTER the actual holiday! :p
IMU, you seriously have the WORST HOA I have ever heard of!!!

I know that quite a few towns across the country have made the last Sat. of the month the "official" trick or treating night. I say let each town handle Halloween with how it best suits that community. Why does big government think they need to get involved & make a state wide official day? This question has been brought up at city council meetings in my town and in neighboring towns around me, the majority of the people of each town have all voted to keep it on the 31st. For Dixie, when Halloween fell on Saturday it worked out great and sounds like everyone had fun. For me, when Halloween fell on Saturday, it sucked. Around here, every single parent was rushing kids through trick or treating, cause the last Sat. is ALWAYS when the adult parties and costume contests go on.

·
IN MEMORIAM - A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,670 Posts
:jol: For me it will always be October 31st, All Hallow's Eve, you can't change that to suit anyone's desires, wants or wishes. I had a huge agrument with my city's town council last year because they moved Trick or Treating for my town to Friday, when Halloween fell on a Sunday. I had trick or treaters Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I was PO'd. I think the calender should be what it is. When Halloween falls on October 31st then celebrate it that night. Too bad if it is not convenient for EVERYONE, it is what it is. What is next? Moving Christmas? Moving New Year's? Why is Halloween a 'secondary' holiday when politicians get involved? You can't "MOVE" the day, dip sticks. That is just my opinion, but for me....that is the only one that counts. PERIOD!:D

·
Super Moderator
64,110 Posts
Our best haunt nights are when Halloween falls on a Friday or Saturday - trick or treaters showing up til midnight, more friends and family come over to hang out - its just a party in our yard. Last year, the older family members practically have to go home at sundown, and all trick or treating was over by 830.
Seeing as how we set up and tear down the same day, last thing I want to see is ToTs still showing up 9:15, let alone midnight:jol: We use the post Halloween ToT hours to drag in the props and then sit down with a glass of wine on the patio, enjoying the cool night air and perhaps a piece of Spooky1's birthday cake.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
A fellow haunter Devin (Dead Center) stopped by tonight and was telling me about this. We each agreed that the only upside to it was that we'd be celebrating it on both nights and finally have a chance to see each others haunt\display. In my opinion Holidays are for when they fall during the week, and not open to change for the personal convenience of any individuals or group.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts