Haunt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about putting shutters on my windows next halloween but I dont know the best way to attach them without putting a bunch of nails into the house. Does anyone else put shutters or wood boards across their windows to make them look old and decrepit? Thanks in advance. If I figure this out on my own soon (not alot of time right now) I will post my solution.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
We did boarded up windows and it ended up being my favorite thing. We used old pallets for the wood and we made a square frame the size of the window and then nailed the boards across that. We purposely made 2 of those boards extend over the frame longer than the rest and nailed the ends of those 2 right to the existing shutters on the house for the downstairs windows. For the upstairs windows - we sized the frame to fit wedged into the window area. I'm sure they would have stayed there on their own, but just in case, we put 1 eye hook on the center of the frame for extra support. You can see pics of them in my album.

·
Terrible Peril
2,621 Posts
I was thinking of making window boards out of 1/2" foam. Painting them to look like wood, and using a wedge system to set them the widow frame. Should be very light weight

·
Typing Lunatic
2,953 Posts
I have a vinyl siding home so my windows have a little lip around the top of them that the vinyl siding sets in. So I made my boarded up windows out of 1/2" pink foam and used a 3/8" rope glued to the inside of the fake boards. The rope fits over the top lip and I have a piece of vinyl siding "j channel" glued to the bottom that slips in the window and the screen slides down into holding the bottom in place. I made them last summer and they held up great all the month of October.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That seems like the best idea for my application since my windows are completely flush with the house and there is no wooden border or anything around it. I dont want to nail into the side of the house either because then I have to patch it and paint it. Does that velcro really stick? What kind of foam did you use and what did you use to paint it to make it look like wood, it looks really good.

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you have double hung windows, you can attach two lengths of wire to both the top and bottom of your boards. Open the upper sash, slip the wires in, adjust and close the sash. Repeat at the bottom sash.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Using the 1/2 inch foam is great. Ive been doing that past 2 years and I put 3M 2-way tape to attach them to the glass. They hold up very well and come off with glass cleaner. I have pictures in my album of them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.