Haunt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any quick, simple ideas for preventing those storebought styrafoam tombstones from blowing over? And no saying make your own, that's a future project.

Preferably an idea that does not involve screws (or the like) being drilled into the 'tombstones.' It just gets too windy here and the screws are pulling out, tearing the tombstones apart.

Any ideas welcome!

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Get some Gorilla glue. It's the polyurethane glue sold in most hardware stores, or liquid nails. Glue two lengths of PVC pipe to the back of the stone, and spray paint them black with Krylon H2O, a water based spray paint( any other kind will eat the foam). Pound in two lengths of Rebar into your lawn. Place the PVC pipes glued to your stone over the rebar. That should hold it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
or, CAREFULLY drill holes in the bottom of the tombstones, test-fit the short lengths of PVC, then remove, slather in gorilla glue, reinsert. Then they slide over the rebar and are hidden.

You can buy 2' pieces of rebar from Home Depot for 97cents.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I glue my tombstones to a wooden base (just a piece of scrap wood), and drill holes in either side to run large nails through. This way, I can literally nail them into the lawn, and use straw or leaves or whatever to cover up the bases themselves.

·
Registered
50 Posts
We do what Dr. Morbius suggested.....here's a photo. We live in Omaha...a city that gets very windy at times....and we've never had one blow over yet.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Seamus, whatever method you use to insert them into your stone, you gotta go with rebar. If your T'stone is secured firmly to a couple rebar stakes, you'll be covered for anything up to gale force winds!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts