Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm having a slow year for new props. We're doing quite a few renovations to the house this year, so money is very tight for us. I have a few projects to do, but nothing too big for this year.

Is anyone else having an off year too, or is it just me?

·
DeceptiProp
5,851 Posts
I know what you mean. Still waiting for the money for my new house and getting things done. But once that is finished I will have my own house. I can't wait.

·
Still scaring children
2,311 Posts
The Joy's of Home Ownership

Let's see umm fix this or fix that? Do the honey do's? Build props for this season? What to do, what to do? argghhh!!

Fix this and that. Maybe do the honey do's. Try to get some thing's made for the season.:zombie:

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I absolutely have to re-build my cemetery fence, or else it won't have a fence this year. The paint never stuck to the old one, the wood was starting to split and most of the fence toppers I made broke and/or fell off. That's probably about the only real project I have this year.

I got a free motor for a shaker board, so I may work that in too, but mainly the issue with that is time.

We're re-doing our front walkway, just fixed the rotted portion of the sill under our house, have to strip and paint the exterior of the house, are installing a lantern post, and sooo many other little things it's ridiculous.

The joy's of home ownership indeed. Still, I'd rather have all this to do rather than rent.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Considering I didn't start anything till about the 2nd week of September for 2007 (first year), I'm off to a great start.

I just started building my first FCG night before last and should have it completed this evening.

I have the majority of the materials purchased for my 12' x 12' addition (meat locker) as well as my 16' hallway (entrance). Hopefully I'll find time to start building my panels for those real soon.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Seems like there's always yardwork to be done, something to be planted, mowed, trimmed, pruned, mulched, ripped up and re-planted. I don't know when it turned into Busch Gardens around here but I barely have time to scrounge the curbs for supplies let alone actually make anything.

New for this year: cemetery sign and columns, pepper's ghost attempt, another stalkabout costume. I hope.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
After the big spend for everythign we did last year and then the clearance sales we won't be doing much more since the haunt is new. Not to mention the new house and remodel we have been doing. Next year it's on though. :D

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Same boat here. I have an arguing witches project (dueling Borii), a new rocking chair for Miss Thrifty, and an animated Buried Alive coffin as well as more groundbreakers. Since my wife got involved this year the yard haunt is expandng dramatically, bigger graveyard, more lighting, more fencing. After this year I'm taking a break, minimal new stuff for 2009.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had a really hard time myself getting things going this year. I wanted to do this huge haunted midway, but it was an undertaking I just didn't feel like I could give my best to so, I am scaling way down and just having good food and a graveyard. Not sure how my guests will react when they are used to big haunts, etc. I just don't have it in me this year.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I, too, am realizing that my ever-ambitous haunt ideas will most likely be crushed down into tiny, more manageable pieces. We've been in an apratment since January, in a new town, with only a bed, a table and two folding chairs...and garage sale and thrift-store finds slowly threatening to take over the small space. But we're supposed to close on a house May 29!! But that leaves us with undermining of patios and driveways, and yard grading and fence-building (no, not cemetery fence) to contend with...

·
Are you always like this?
3,290 Posts
We'll be moving in a couple of weeks, which has kind of taken over.

Of course, I want to get into the new house so that I can truly begin to conceptualize what I want to do there. That's hard to do until you're actually in the space.

Hopefully once we're in, I can run my ideas past my Director of Production and Manufacturing (Mr. W), see what he has time to do then get a few props rolling off the assembly line (together or by myself as the case may be).

·
In Remembrance
7,646 Posts
I feel like I am off to a good start. Money is always an issue so nothing new there. I do have projects left over from last year that were either half done or left in the planning stage. I started with a small new project that I could work on while I waited for the weather to warm up so I can get out to the shop and work. Pilars and a fireplace are my only new big projects for this year. The one major lesson I learned over the last couple of years is to make a list and stick to it. Work on only one project at a time with maybe a second to fill in while I wait for something to dry or something. It is just to easy to become over whelmed trying to work on numerous project at one time. It all ends up half done. I just got a new gallon of latex and I am feeling good about this year. Now if only the weather will be good on Halloween so I can use my foggers.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Pretty much in the same boat. I budget for at least one store bought prop each year, and make a few things. The economy is a factor for sure and priorities have shifted. I'll motorize my stirring witches head so that it turns. That'll complete that prop. I have a couple of sheets of pink foam to play with so will make a couple of stones. Plan on a coule of pvc frame figures and that's about it. As mentioned in another thread, I'll be at a HS football game for half the evening so I'd rather not do too much new this year and not be there to enjoy it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
New major props this year: Spider cave maze walls, Bottomless Pit, Spider Wiper, Giant Lowboy popup. The plan is huge! Hope we can finish it all. Papa Boo and I have spread the build (and the budget) throughout the year. If it wasn't for Curby's amazing deals, there's NO WAY we could afford to finish everything.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Money is a prob for sure with all the family surprises that have happened. Still plpan on doina graveyard this year, prob going to add a few more armatures. I wish ACC didnt sell to someone else, so I could have afforded more skeletal stuffs.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Time is the big problem for me this year. Way to much going on even chores have been getting pushed aside latley let alone prop work. However the plan for this year stands and I wont get worried about it untill august. We find that even though we would like to work on things year round at some point we need a break or it almost becomes work.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts