Haunt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have started carving prosthetics from sponge for use for a not quite Halloween but Halloween-themed event in a couple of weeks. The sponge holes are quite fine but I would like to just smooth the surface a bit before I paint them (otherwise the paint emphasizes the holes) without losing too much of the flexibility. Sponge is easily carved with a small pair of craft scissors and very very cheap as offcuts are only 50c ea and I can make dozens of facial prosthetics from it. A set of eyebrow horns takes me less than ten minutes to shape and look pretty cool so far. I would also like to use this method to make other props.

I haven't yet found liquid latex in my town and dont have enough time to order any.

I know that people will probably tell me that I should use latex foam or latex but (because I live in a non-metro part of Australia) A) Latex foam is too expensive, too hard to get and too little time to stuff around with it. And as started before I haven't been able to get my hands on liquid latex yet.

Is there anything generic or unusual that anyone can think of to achieve this purpose?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go to a local crafts store. The larger ones usually carry casting latex. It's slightly thicker than regular liquid latex, but it will fill in the holes and only takes about an hour to dry, then you can paint it. Hope this helps.

**EDIT**
Not sure if you have a Michael's crafts chain there, but I know that they carry it.
No we don't have Michaels over here and unfortunately there is only one large 'craft' store here in my town (which is really more a sewing and knitting store) and I have already checked but they don't have it. Australia can be a coo-coo place to try and get stuff unless you live in a capital city.

In a pinch, for small items like this, use latex caulking. Put some in a small cup and add warm water and mix to 'brush on' consistency. It may take you a little bit of experimenting to get it just right, but it should do the trick for you.
Thanks I will give that a try :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do you have a home improvement store around you? If you do, check the carpet aisle for latex carpet adhesive. It's essentially the same thing as a craft liquid latex. I've never tried it, but it was recommended to me by a pretty big name in the prop making haunt industry as a cheaper alternative to buying liquid latex. Good luck and hopefully you can find something that works! I would love to see pics of the finished pieces!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts