Haunt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a preview of something I/we have been working on for the last 2 months
It is mache and Sculpt or coat and other things :), its very large, the base under all the mache is a modified Boomer skull. My nephew and I are making it, he is getting school credit for it when its all done. I work on it during the week off and on. He comes over on Sunday and I teach him how to make monsters. I think I added up that we are at 47 hours just on the head at this point. LOL

We are chronicling the build here.
http://grimvisions.com/category/grave-digger/

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Very cool indeed! One of these days I'm going to have to jump in and sculpt mache. Even cooler that your nephew is working with you!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Lookin' Good!

nasty looking teeth, and gruesome eye-flesh. I like the eye patch - ouch.

Excellent work, as always!!
...and clever name btw. Latin origin?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lookin' Good!

nasty looking teeth, and gruesome eye-flesh. I like the eye patch - ouch.

Excellent work, as always!!
...and clever name btw. Latin origin?
Thanks for pointing that out Deadspider :)

Horatio: English form of Roman Horatius, meaning "has good eyesight."

woe /woʊ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[woh] -noun
1. grievous distress, affliction, or trouble: His woe was almost beyond description.
2. an affliction: She suffered a fall, among her other woes.
-interjection
3. an exclamation of grief, distress, or lamentation.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
krough how does one make the eyes look like they have a film over them?
A couple of things.
My goal was to make it look like it was old and glazed over, and ready to almost fall out of his head. I practiced on a separate eye 1st
1. I used a Iris cutout that is semi cloudy http://www.hauntershangout.com/graphics/projects/easyeyes/easyeyes.jpg

2. The "eyeball" is painted yellow then the iris is glued down. (let it dry) Then I painted the whole eyeball with Sculpt or Coat (SOC) and laid a piece of tissue paper over it. And painted some more SOC on it.(let it dry)

3. I then painted the veins in red, and applied a watered down red wash along the edges. (let it dry) I then did one more coat of SOC and took some very hot water and a fine soft brush and smoothed out the SOC in a smooth layer. this made it nice and even. it dries clear. The shine in the below pic is all the SOC when its dry, even the bag under his eye.
So basically the eye does have a film over it. its SOC and tissue paper. :)

I did this all on the eye once it was in his head. I will never do that again. Always do all the eye work on the eye prior to putting it in place.

·
Old Bat
2,823 Posts
I'm glad to find that I'm not the only person who names their props.

Horatio looks great, by the way. Your props always seem to have their own personalities about them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts