Votes: 4 40.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are now in the second round of these match-ups that I have concocted for your entertainment. I hope we have as much if not more participation than in the first ever H.M.D.M. Maybe we can get some good discussions rolling in here.

These two films I think personified the 80's more than any other Horror flick of the decade. It's because of these two films that I believe the Vampire craze kicked into full swing. Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to answer the question as to which is better: Fright Night with possibly the most suave, cool mother****ing pimp-daddy Vampire of all-time in Jerry Dandridge, or a gang of cool-ass, metal head, bike riding bloodsuckers led by Keifer Sutherland in the film that made him a star, The Lost Boys?

The polls are once again open. Decide which flick will become the 80's kingpin of the Vampire genre.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to think about this one for a long, long time. I love both movies and both are in my Top 10 of the best Vampire films of all-time. In the end, I had to go with Fright Night. The reasons:

1. As I stated before, Jerry Dandridge is just one cool mofo. There isn't any of his ilk that comes close to exuding the raw magnetism of his character. name one Vampire that you think, and I promise you that they just don't have what it takes to out-cool him. Seriously, if you saw ANY incarnation of Dracula, in real life would you say "Wow, he's so damn cool," or would you ridicule him (Out of earshot of course.) No Sarandon had it right more than any other when it comes to Vampires that make the chicks wet in their panties.

2. Roddy McDowall, Amanda Bearse and Stephen Geofferies. These actors have one thing in common: They're all gay. (Or were in McDowall's case.) Yet, and this is especially true in Bearse's case, the gay factor didn't pop into my head once and to me that is good acting when the sexuality of the actors doesn't enter the picture once.

3. The premise of the story. How many of you could even convince your best friend, parents, respective other that a Vampire lived next door to you, even with strange circumstances going down around your neighborhood? No one could and I'm glad that Charlie brewster wan't able to either. Charlie was a complete dodo and that's what made his role absolutely convincing.

I give The Lost Boys its props, but it just isn't as persuasive as Fright Night is. Sutherland and the Coreys and Jason Newlander were great and Jamie Gertz was a complete knockout. Barnard Hughes as Grandpa was a riot, but I had some problems with the rest of the supporting cast. Davids gang had one or two lines in the film and that was it. Edward Herrman though inconspicuous as the head Vampire just didn't have any magnetism suited for such a role. And Michael? Well, lets just say that I think that a person in his perdicament would have JUMPED at the chance to fit in with a cool bunch even if it meant becoming one of the Undead. Other than those minor complaints I had a real good time with the film and it is in my top ten vamp films.

I just think Fright Night is better. End of story.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see that both films only have three votes apeice and are at a draw. There is also no comments except mine and a short one by Spaulding. I know you guys are out there. Lets show a little love for the Undead. :D

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Sinister said:
There is also no comments except mine and a short one by Spaulding. I know you guys are out there. Lets show a little love for the Undead. :D
Hey - Scarface replied! We're here, we're just a little tired from sucking blood all last night.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My bad. Change that to: My comment and a short one by Spaulding and scarface. Sorry about the oversight 'face. :eek:

·
Registered
214 Posts
shame monster squad isn't a choice

"wolfman has nards!" best line in a horror movie ever

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
I've been back and forth on this since Sinister posted it. My vote goes with Fright Night.

I enjoy Lost Boys plenty, but for some reason Chris Sarandon's charismatic, overconfident vampire stands out in my mind moreso than Kiefer Sutherland and co.

Fright Night even had some pretty kick ass sets, especially the vampire's house. What a front hallway!

Lost Boys is a movie that, to me, is somewhere in between a good movie and a great movie, as is Fright Night. Neither are "great" movies, but I think Fright Night is a few rungs further up the ladder than LB is.

Plus, it's go Herman's Head in it and he's way better than two Coreys combined. :D

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
shaunathan said:
shame monster squad isn't a choice

"wolfman has nards!" best line in a horror movie ever
Hehe, I love that movie. I wonder if it's seen a proper DVD release yet...

*Zombie goes hunting for it...*

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With a 6-4 victory, Fright Night stakes the Vampires from Santa Carla and leaves 'em to deteriorate in the sun. We leave this round and move to the second match-up in this series.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.