Votes: 1 12.5%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year, George Romero released a fourth episode to his "Dead" opus. There has been a lot of division amongst zombie mavens to whether or not Land of the Dead was a masterpeice or simply a peice of ****. The same can be said for Zack Snyders "re-imagining" of the '79 version of Dawn of the Dead. Because these two movies have so many defenders and detractors, I have decided to pit the Undead Invaders of Fiddlers Green against the Sprinting Ghouls of Crossroads Shopping Mall. Has Romero lost his touch with the fan base of Unpleasant Street, or is he still the undisputed King of Zombie films against upstarts like Snyder? As fast as one of the '04 Zombies, get your ass in here and vote. :zombie:

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Being I haven't seen "Land" yet, I have to bow out of this round... unless the DVD release happens before it ends. Being that will happen on the 18th, I think the poll will be closed by then.

I did like the 2004 version of Dawn though... quite a bit, which shocked the hell outta me since I expected the worst.

·
Banned
502 Posts
My vote went to Dawn, I thought LotD was just an average zombie film. I didn't think it was great, but it also wasnt bad. I thought the story of the rich versus the poor was just poorly done and the whole zombie revolt just gave me a headache. Overall the film seemed too rushed to me. It seems that when Romero heard he had been granted the greenlight to film he penned the script as fast as he could and started filming before someone could change their mind and take the money back.

~~Bill~~

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snyder gets my vote with his 2004 flick. I have praised this film so many times over that will not even start with another gushing accolade of it now. Suffice it to say, this and Shaun of the Dead have done more for the genre than any other film for over twenty years. Which leads me to Romero's latest.

I agree with every point that Will made in his post and I will take it a step farther. The only way LOTD could have gained any face that it lost, was by The Dead Reckoning being used for what it was made for, especially in the end. I also hate it that George has to shove some sort of political agenda in our faces everytime he makes a Zombie film. Not that I'm downing his previous three outings. Indeed, the original Dawn of the Dead is arguably the best Zombie film ever. And Night of the Living Dead is a mandatory film to have playing during the month of October. Both are great, and Day of the Dead grows on you after subsequent showings, although before Land of the Dead it could be argued to be the weakest of the series. As I sat and watched LOTD in the theater and the on the ride home, I have no doubt what Capt. Rhodes would have done with the Zombie Warmachine during and at the end of the movie. :devil:

It's showings like this one that gets Romero no dinero for making Zombie films.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This edition of HMDM will be up a bit longer in anticipation of Land of the Dead's release on the 18th. Maybe some of you will check it out and then get in here and vote.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don of the Dead said:
I voted LAnd, I loved Dawn 04, but Land just had Romero going for it.
The fact that Romero directed it makes it all the more shameful. He's directly responsible for establishing the Zombie genre as we know it today, and he doesn't even have a handle on the franchise he's supposed to own a corner market on. If it weren't for Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead and to a lesser degree, Day of the Dead it is very likely, you wouldn't know who he was, and if you did, he would be a mild curiousity at best and nothing more. Name one more movie of his that has ANY significant bearing on Horror in any way. You can't, because such an animal doesn't exist.

Zack Snyder's film blows his away and leaves it in a trail of exploded, rotted flesh. There are just so many things wrong with Land of the Dead that one doesn't know where to begin. I respect your opinion Don, but man, there's no way you can convince me that this film is a feather in the cap of George Romero.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sinister said:
The fact that Romero directed it makes it all the more shameful. He's directly responsible for establishing the Zombie genre as we know it today, and he doesn't even have a handle on the franchise he's supposed to own a corner market on. If it weren't for Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead and to a lesser degree, Day of the Dead it is very likely, you wouldn't know who he was, and if you did, he would be a mild curiousity at best and nothing more. Name one more movie of his that has ANY significant bearing on Horror in any way. You can't, because such an animal doesn't exist.

Zack Snyder's film blows his away and leaves it in a trail of exploded, rotted flesh. There are just so many things wrong with Land of the Dead that one doesn't know where to begin. I respect your opinion Don, but man, there's no way you can convince me that this film is a feather in the cap of George Romero.
I really loved Land of the Dead, I loved the feel, the set up of the city, the whole "raids", and I LOVED zombies evolving. Zombies learning, I thought, was a brilliant idea.
My favorites in order go:
Day of the Dead
Land of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Night of the Living Dead

·
Banned
502 Posts
Sinister said:
Name one more movie of his that has ANY significant bearing on Horror in any way. You can't, because such an animal doesn't exist.
I think you are forgetting a little gem of a film called Monkey Shines ;)

~~Bill~~

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I haven't forgotten. Romero had two great ideas, one passable one and I think I pegged all three. I am, however, distressed over Don's selection and order of the dead films. I'm only hoping the man is ****ing with me in some way. If not, he really needs to go back and re-watch the first two Romero Dead flicks over. There's absolutely no way Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead are better than "Night" and "Dawn." If he really believes that, then he is the very first person that I have EVER known to think so. :zombie:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sinister said:
No, I haven't forgotten. Romero had two great ideas, one passable one and I think I pegged all three. I am, however, distressed over Don's selection and order of the dead films. I'm only hoping the man is ****ing with me in some way. If not, he really needs to go back and re-watch the first two Romero Dead flicks over. There's absolutely no way Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead are better than "Night" and "Dawn." If he really believes that, then he is the very first person that I have EVER known to think so. :zombie:
Not screwing with you, Day of the Dead is in my opinion the best zombie movie ever. The clausterphobic feel of the underground base, the zombies, the asshole millitary, and last but not least: Bub.

Damnit, now I gotta go pop it in the DVD player, I"m all tasted up for some Rhoads ripping fun!.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess you're entitled to your opinions. :D

I just have a hard time swallowing the whole "Zombies becoming advanced" idea. I mean, after all, we're talking about dead tissue here. If they could "advance" should they even have lost the ability to pull off the crap that Big Daddy was able to do in LOTD? The moment the humans die in Romero's films, they're reduced to being no more than sub-human animals with an unreasoning desire to devour human flesh. The farther along zombification continues, they deteriorate even more and by that reasoning, the brain being one of those things affected by decay would worsen rather than becoming better. It is for this glaring discrepancy that I don't put much stock in Romero's latest adventure into the Undead genre.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This particular poll stays open until Saturday. So if you still haven't seen Land of the Dead and still want to vote, this will be your last opportunity. If not, Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead rightfully moves forward to the Quarter-Finals and a new match will be posted.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Well, I just got done watching Land and I have to say my vote goes with Dawn 2004. Land was very mediocre. It lacked that certain Romero flare that all his past Dead movies had and just comes out as being very average. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, because I did. It just wasn't up to par with the other three movies in his (now) quadrilogy.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After an extended stay,Dawn of the Dead (2004) soundly trounces Land of the Dead and we move onto another match-up while Zack Snyders film moves to the quarterfinals.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.