Votes: 1 20.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pimp Daddy Master Vampire Jerry Dandridge from Fright Night fame is up against the Scottish Werewolves of Dog Soldiers. Will Jer be able to mack his way through the lycanthropes, or will the wolf people tear him into so much itty-bitty Vampire kibble? You decide the outcome by getting in here to vote, so get with it in our first match-up of the Quarter-Finals.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
I have to agree with Tipo. We watched Fright Nignt at our Halloween party and it was just as enjoyable as it was in previous viewings. On the other hand, Dog Soldiers, while still a good movie, wasn't nearly as enjoyable as it was the first time I had seen it. I think once the cat is out of the bag (so to speak) as to who in the group is a werewolf, the movie loses a little of its charm.

Plus, I tend to like vampire movies slightly more than werewolf movies anyway. There's only a handful of good ones in each genre, and these are two of them.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to throw in my lot with Fright Night as well. Zombie is right that there are only a handful of each of these type of genre films in existence, but Chris Sarandon as a vampire is just too hard to beat. Fright Night is simply one of my favorite films of all-time, Horror or no. Every single character in it is believable, from Dandridge himself all the way down to Charlie Brewster's ditzy mother. This story works because this is the age of skepticism. No one believes in things that go bump in the night anymore, we've pushed it back in the shadows where it belongs. What better place for a Vampire to thrive? If no one believes in you, less likely are you to be dragged out of your bolt hole and have a stake driven through your heart under the blazing eye of the sun. Thye say the Devil's biggest feat was proving to everyone he didn't exist. That is very much what happens in this movie. Great stuff that I hope they never give the remake treatment.

Dog Soldiers is one of the best Werewolf movies ever made. Yet, with the exception of a few stand-out characters (Cooper, The Sarge, Spoon, Ryan) you just really weren't that perturbed when the other fellows were taken out. Why? They had very few defining characteristics that made them stand out from the rest of (excuse me here) the pack. It doesn't lessen its impact as a great film, but I think the movie suffers from this slight. Neil Marshall did a fine job here, but Tom Holland's vampire opus just simply outclasses it.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Suave and debonair Vampire Jerry Dandridge pulls out yet another victory and will face the winner of the next Quarter-Finals in the Semi's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.